Chinese-Forums

Who is your ideal hero?

Ian_Lee

Recently HK did an interesting survey on "Who is the Hero?". The result is:

http://hk.news.yahoo.com/040217/10/x6xb.html

(1) Sun Yat Sen

(2) Father

(3) Mother

(4) Yang Liwei (First Chinese Taikonaut)

(5) Bruce Lee/Jackie Chan/Li Ka Shing/Law enforcement officers

(6) Andy Lau

(7) Jesus Christ

(8 ) SARS doctors/nurses & Tung Chee Hwa

(9) Anson Chan

(10) Anita Mui/Mao Zedong/Kuan Yu

I guess such survey will get different responses in various Chinese communities. The result may reflect the values each society holds.

This survey is a bunch of bamboo shoots! (Chinese B.S.)

You gotta put Yao Ming somewhere between Andy Lau and Jesus Christ.

Wait a couple more months and Yang Liwei won't even be able to get a dim sum table reservation at City Hall.

Sun Yat Sen #1? Come on, we all know it's Jackie Chan.

Where's that other Jackie? Jackie Cheung? Couldn't even tie for 10th with the Kitchen God and those two bobbleheads?

Gimme a break.

Confucius:

Yao Ming may be hot in Mainland and US. But not in HK.

Yao's match in HK didn't even get a full house. His popularity fared far below the British soccer star Beckham in HK. (It doesn't imply that Yao is not as good as Beckham.)

Why so curious about Sun being No. 1?

Similiar polls in Shanghai and Beijing always put Mao Zedong and Zhou on the top spots.

HKers can be as patriotic as Shanghaiese and Beijingers. Of course, patriotism does not mean blind loyalty to the party. That is why HKers place Sun on the top spot instead of Mao and Zhou.

By the way, Jesus Christ is ranked No. 7 in HK. If people in Mainland is given a free say, I think they would put him above Mao or Zhou.

Please, Ian, no more discussion on patriotism. 8) I am sick of it (I suppose you know what is happening here. We've been thrown a red herring and people are talking about who is patriotic instead of the actual political reform).

IMO Dr Sun is really an unusual choice of HK youngsters (not that I don't respect him. Actually he could be one of my choices if I were asked the same question.)

Skylee:

Read the details of the poll. It was not conducted among the youths. It was a random sampling of 500 people on the street.

By the way, according to Beijing's definition, neither Sun nor Mao was "patriotic" since they both opposed the regime that they lived under.

Similiar polls in Shanghai and Beijing always put Mao Zedong and Zhou on the top spots.

come on, man! could you show us the info source? don't always put things as your imagining or 以偏概全, 好不好? pls!

By the way, Jesus Christ is ranked No. 7 in HK. If people in Mainland is given a free say, I think they would put him above Mao or Zhou.

i would say most of people in mainland right now don't believe any -sm, including the name you mentioned. i mean no offence at all!

come on' date=' man! could you show us the info source? [/quote']

I used to ask my students a slightly different question- "If you could talk to anyone from history, who would it be?"- and yes, the answer was always Mao or Zhou. :(

come on' date=' man! could you show us the info source? [/quote']

I used to ask my students a slightly different question- "If you could talk to anyone from history, who would it be?"- and yes, the answer was always Mao or Zhou. :(

sure, if the answer was Alexander the Great, they would need an interpreter then. lol

haha, just kidding, but my point is, the answer maybe caused by that both mao and zhou were living near today(i.e. Genghis khan-es are really not as famous as them in western world), but doesn't mean blind loyalty to the party or stuff(see Ian_Lee's point)... actually in today's china, mao and zhou really don't have the forces or effect as strong as some people's imagination. the younger generation would rather individualism than any other -sm.

Hmmm.....this female garbage-picker from Liaoning in Guangzhou also considers Li Ka Shing as her hero.

遼婦冒李嘉誠妹騙57萬

【明報專訊】長實集團主李嘉誠的名字在港無人不識,萬料不到「超人」響噹噹的名字,在內地可成為「騙財工具」。廣州一個撿垃圾為業的中年婦女,冒認為李嘉誠的妹妹,輕易騙了廣州一富商57萬。

2002年底,廣州市民蕭某經人介紹,結識了「香港富婆」李欣。李欣對生意做得很大、身家不菲的蕭某稱,她的真正來頭是「香港首富李嘉誠的妹妹」。

為取得蕭某信任,一次兩人在酒店閒聊的過程中,李欣掏出了一張香港永久居民身分證、一張「港澳居民往來內地通行證」,還「隨意」掏出6本外幣定期存摺在蕭某面前一晃,稱「裏面有500萬美元」。

其後,李欣急地邀約蕭某,她以急需資金周轉,提前支取她的定期存款將損失慘重為理由,要向他借30萬元。蕭某一口答應。3天後,李欣以同樣理由又向蕭借了27.5萬元。約定還款的日期過了,這個「首富妹妹」一直躲避還錢,蕭某於是報警求助。到10月,海珠區警方將李欣帶回穗審查。

李欣供稱,她其實姓王,遼寧撫順人,92年起,她開始在廣州以撿垃圾為業,後發現包裝成「香港首富妹妹」後很好騙人,遂起意詐騙。日前,廣州海珠區檢察院以詐騙罪起訴王某。