Chinese-Forums

What is the character for "Here you are" used in Pimsleur

singularity2

As said, 喏 (nou4) is used to call attention to the matter or object one is mentioning according to my dictionary. 喏, 你说的那本书不就在这儿吗? -- There! (look) Isn't that the book you mentioned?

I think that 搦 (nuo4) is the character for "here you are". It means "hold in the hand, hold, grasp".

I guess the word may be "那"(na,also forth tone); in my opinion, we use this word just to draw one's attention; but You link it with "Hear you are' , I can give my imagination as follow;

You and he are in the kitchen,cooking, and you want to have the salt passed to you, so you say: pass me the salt please. Then he say, "那! " In fact, 给你(Here you are )is omited! If he gives a full anwser, it should be "那! 给你!"

那has not any meaning related to Here you are! It is just an onomatopoeic word.

We can use the folloing words under the same circumstances:

哦(o,forth tone),恩(en,forth tone),(eng) etc.

We use these words to reponse to the other side's requirements in short! If you do not give one as such, others may think you are not polite enough! Just imagine! When you ask a question, and no one retreats it!

You and he are in the kitchen,cooking, and you want to have the salt passed to you, so you say: pass me the salt please. Then he say, "那! " In fact, 给你(Here you are )is omited! If he gives a full anwser, it should be "那! 给你!"

那has not any meaning related to Here you are! It is just an onomatopoeic word.

Well i heard from somewhere that its from 拿(take)...makes sense there. :mrgreen:

• 3 months later...

náo

〈名〉

(形声。从口,奴声。本义:喧哗) 同本义 [hubbub]。如:呶拏(喧闹);呶嚷(吵闹);喧呶

náo

〈叹〉

表示所放的处所等 [look at]。如:呶,信在这里,你看嘛!

I think no matter it sounds "nao2 or nao4", it was only a echoism to awake your attention.

Not sure about Pimsleur, but in regards to giving someone money (to pay for something), over here we always use "给". Which interestingly enough means the opposite of "拏".

"Here's your money" vs. "Just take my money already!" :)

Food for thought...

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

I am also puzzled by this na4 word. Or is it ne4?

The word was used in Part II, Lesson 11 again. (It was used a lot in some lessons in Part I). The context in Lesson 11 is:

- Do you have that chinese cake?

Answer: you3 na4 (or ne4)

which means: Yes, here you go!

The English speaker also mentioned that a more polite way to answer is:

you3 qing3 which translates to Yes, please help yourself.

I paid close attention this time and was sure I heard na4, but it may have also been ne4, which according to the pronounciation given

by plecodict alsmost sounds like a na with a falling tone to my ears. I could only find

讷 in ccdict (large/speak cautiously ??) for ne4.

Interesting answers in this thread, but I am still confused.

Cheers

hackinger