Chinese-Forums

Specific Poll: Does online audio influence textbook purchase?

kudra

Specific experience -- (D+H shoppers only please)  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Specific experience -- (D+H shoppers only please)

• audio influenced decision to buy.
    • audio did not affect my decision to buy.
    • actively use audio, didn't buy text, but would have if not for free audio
    • actively use audio, didn't buy text, wouldn't have bought anyway.
    • tried audio, didn't buy, wouldn't have bought the book blind.
    • tried audio, didn't buy, would have bought the book blind.

I would not use online audio to determine whether to buy the text. What I would use it for is access to the audio when I'm somewhere that I don't have the CD's. (lunchtime practice at work, for example)

I would not buy the textbook if the audio were *only* online -- I still want the CDs, and I don't want to have to select individual audio files to download to my computer and burn onto a CD. Unless they made the whole thing available in 5 or less zip files. I don't want to be tied to my computer to study.

You've got to be kidding me. The hundreds of hours it takes to become proficient in a language and the 20 minutes it would take to download audio files and burn them on a CD instead of having them shrinkwrapped is a deciding factor in your choice of study materials?

• 2 weeks later...

All else being equal, of course it will be a deciding factor. Why would you take something that requires extra work for no extra gain?

Personally, I'm nearly inextricably linked to my computer, so being able to download things would be a huge plus :D

That's true, but I was providing a situation where it could be a deciding factor. It's also worth noting that not everyone has access to a computer outside of work or school, and they may not be allowed to download things like audio files, so MerryHearted's position is understandable.

In any event, I do agree with what you're saying.