Chinese-Forums

Proverbs about love....

Ed1982

Afternoon!

A friend of a friend is getting married in August and my friend has asked for some help (seeing as my girlfriend is Chinese :mrgreen: )

He would like to give them a scroll with a Chinese proverb written on it in Chinese characters. However, my girlfriend and I are having trouble finding any and when we do she is having trouble translating them.

Can anyone suggest any (both characters and in English)? Any help would be gratefully appreciated! :clap:

Ed :mrgreen:

白頭偕老 永結同心

Live together till our hairs grow white with our hearts belonging to each other forever.

執子之手 與子偕老

Hold your hands and grow old with you.

琴瑟和鳴

Hope we can be together like a harmonious melody played by Qin and Se. (Both Qin and Se are ancient Chinese musical instruments, which are used to play some smoothing, slow rhythm, but quite harmonious music. This kind of music used to be the symbol of harmonious marriage / love relationship.)

Thanks!

I'm looking for the same thing -- proverbs or poems.

Had a look at this thread:

http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/1410-poems-about-love-and-marriage

But fiancee thinks that the Han Dynasty poem is ok when translated to English but too strong in its original form (as Skylee mentioned).

I'm sending her a link to this thread.

Any other proverbs/short poems that would suit? We're putting them in our invites.

Thank you,

BBF