Chinese-Forums

Translating english to learn chinese??

赫杰

Hello all, I have a question.

As I notice my english getting worse and worse, it seems that in addition to sometimes forgetting how to say some english words, the actual structure of my english sentences are even changing, that is I find myself using tons of commas and creating some really weird sounding sentences...It's like I am at the point where my chinese and english is both really bad, LOL:oops:

...what do you guys think about actually taking time out of the day to translate english to chinese as a way of study? Perhaps, this would not apply to you if you often use english

For example, reading some english news or watching an english program, trying to find some words, meanings, or feelings that you don't know how to express in chinese, and then translating it.

What are the pros and cons of such a study method, 你们觉得?值得否?

HJ

I think figuring out how to say things in Chinese that you normally say in English is an excellent way to study - going through your day, saying something, or doing something, and asking yourself "now, how would I say that in Chinese" is something that good language learners do. The only thing is that because the sentence and grammar patterns are so different between the two languages, you won't be able to translate everything directly.

A good thing to do would be to write down the phrases that you often say in English and bring them to your next Chinese lesson, or ask a native speaker who knows some English how to say them in Chinese.

I think it's a good idea. I translated english news to hungarian, learning english. And this was a good think.

Of course with two languages it's more difficult, but I think you can learn a lot of things by that way.

• 3 weeks later...

Since many people are looking for an opportunity to practice Chinese, here is an article I translated from English to Chinese while being stuck indoors during these Beijing storms. I'm pretty sure it's terrible, but then again, so are many of the Chinese => English pieces I've seen. So here's an opportunity for people to discuss and debate and show that they can do better, all in good fun and for the sake of learning of course..(sorry If I randomly made up my Chinese terms here, I didn't want to consult with anyone just to see what I could think of by myself...ok well maybe I consulted with google.com a bit..hehe) ...Also, I'm curious how many people on this forum are non-native Chinese speakers who actually do translation work into Chinese since it seems many Chinese do translation work into English...

Gun buybacks aim for safer streets

守买枪的项目针对提高社区安全

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060731/OPINION01/607310305/1068&template=printart

July 31, 2006

Detroit police are teaming up with the Youth Initiatives Project to sponsor gun buybacks around Detroit and end the sharp rise this year in homicides and non-fatal shootings.

为了针对城市内的枪击杀和非致命案件的大幅上升底特律警察队伍与青年行动计划合作赞助城市内的一场守买枪项目。

Gun buybacks are no panacea for gun violence. Obviously, not everyone with a potential for misusing a firearm will turn one in. But getting more guns off the streets, and out of homes, does make it less likely that weapons will be stolen or used to maim or kill in the heat of passion, or that they will accidentally end the life of a curious child.

此类的守买枪项目并不是一个治疗枪引起暴力的万能药。显然,所潜在滥用枪的人不一定要交一把。不过若更多枪从街坊,家庭将撤除,这些武器被盗,用杀,损害或者引起一个好奇孩子死亡的意外的可能性会减少。

Equally important, gun buybacks promote community education and involvement. They raise awareness of the issue of violent crime and provide opportunities for police officers to interact with the people they serve. Tomorrow through Saturday, police officers and teenagers will walk through neighborhoods, knocking on doors and talking to residents about the buyback.

同样重要的是,守买枪的项目促进社区教育和合作,增加居民对暴力犯罪意识,给予警察与为服务的人民一个交流的机会。明天到周六,警察与青年将漫步街道,并逐户拍门通知居民该守买枪的活动.

People can turn in guns anonymously for gift certificates or debit cards worth up to $200. Some of Detroit's influential churches are providing a more comfortable place for some people to drop off guns than a police station. This year's citywide buyback is also a good opportunity for businesses to get involved. The YIP, a program of the Neighborhood Service Organization, and police are trying to raise up to $50,000 to cover the costs of the program.

居民能匿名地交枪而受到价值高达200美元的礼品证书或提款卡。一些有影响力的底特律教堂也在作为一个比警察局更舒适的交枪区。今年的全城市守买枪的节目也是一个给企业介入的一个好机会。为了支付本项目的5万美元成本街坊服务组织的青年行动计划与警方正在设法筹集.

"There has to be a community response to gun violence, not just a law enforcement response," said Frank McGhee, coordinator of the Youth Initiatives Project. "The community has to step up."

青年行动计划的协调员, 法兰克-枚克伊,说“为了面对枪有关的暴力必须有一个社会的反应,不仅是执法的反应. 居民们都必须牵手站起来”

With more than 200 homicides and 720 nonfatal shootings so far this year, a citywide effort to reduce firearms is on time and on target.

今年到目前为止已有200起枪击杀案,720非致命案子, 一个全城市减少枪的措施还是来得及而且目标是对的.

Ok, it's raining again. I'm bored. Here's a revised version of this translation.

枪械回购提高社区安全

针对城市内枪械击杀和枪械非致命案件的大幅上升,底特律的警察队伍与青年行动计划组织合作赞助了城市内的一场枪械回购项目。

此类回购枪械项目,并不是治疗枪械引起暴力的万能药。显然,一些滥用枪械的人不一定会交出他们手中的枪支。如果更多的枪械从家庭以及附近的租住房、小商小户等中被撤除,那么这些武器被他人盗用、由这些武器引起的犯罪、让一个充满好奇心的孩子意外死亡的可能性都会减少。

同样,回购枪械项目也促进了社区教育和合作,增加了居民对暴力犯罪的认识,给警察提供了一个与居民交流的机会。从明天到周六,警察与青年将漫步街道,并逐户拍门通知居民回购枪械的活动。

居民可以匿名交出枪支,同时会得到价值高达200美元的礼品证书或提款卡。底特律一些有影响力的教堂也成为了比警察局更适合的交枪地点。与此同时,居委会的青年行动计划组织与警方正在设法筹集全市回购枪械活动的5万美元成本,这也给了企业介入的好机会。

青年行动计划的协调员,法兰克-枚克伊说:“为了减少枪械引起的暴力,必须有一个全社会的响应,而不仅仅是依靠法律和执法人员的维护.它更需要民众们的联手支持”

今年以来,已有200起枪杀案,720起枪械非致命案,以降低类似的案件为目的,全市减少枪支的措施还是及时的。