Chinese-Forums

Converter plug for my laptop -going to Beijing

Meng Lelan

I am taking my Dell laptop to Beijing this October. I want to buy a converter plug for it here in the US before I leave because I don't want to spend time running around trying to buy one when I get there. You know the voltage there is different from the US.

Also - anyone who can recommend any other supplies and accessories I should take for my laptop, I would like to hear it. This is my fifth trip to Beijing for me, the first trip for my laptop. Thanks. --- Lelan

The voltage may not be a problem, but the shape of the plug can be. I have seen 3 different electrical outlet plug shapes in China, but I don't know which one is most common or if Beijing, unlike some more out-of-the-way destinations, might have recently standardized them. Does anyone have any advice? I also have the laptop problem... and the hair dryier and the iPod and the camera and the...

:-)

Mado

You can pick up a plug converter at most supermarkets. Beijing hasn't standardized it's outlets so your best choice might be to wait until you arrive, see what the outlets in your room are like, then head to the supermarket and pick up what you need.

You can get surge protectors and extension cords easily too so don't worry about those either.

Most electronics will have their voltage range written somewhere on the adapter or appliance. Your ipod should be okay but check your hairdryer - if it's not convertible, you might as well buy one when you arrive in China.