Chinese-Forums

a new Linux / Windows Chinese typing program

ylamylam

Dear all,

I am a Chinese guy from Hong Kong and is very interested in Chinese Typing program.

I have developed a Chinese typing program that mix Pinyin and English<->Chinese dictionary into one.

I would like someone to try out:

http://input.foruto.com/IME/Linux/BIG5/INSTALL/index_e.html (Linux Version)

http://input.foruto.com/IME/Windows/UNICODE/index.html (Windows Version)

Could someone please try and report to me whether it works?

Yick

Hi

I couldn't install it on Fedora Core 4

Firstly your instructions say :

Enter "tar -xjf MyIM_2.0.tar.bz2"

but the file is called "MyIME_2.0" so I think it should be:

tar -xjf MyIME_2.0.tar.bz2

and the next one should be:

cd MyIME_2.0

anyway after 'make' i got this error :

[

root@localhost MyIME_2.0]# make
make -C core
make[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/MyIME_2.0/core'
gcc  -Wall -g -D__DEBUG__  -I../ -c -o db.o db.c
make[1]: gcc: Command not found
make[1]: *** [db.o] Error 127
make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/MyIME_2.0/core'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I might not have gcc installed, I'm not sure cause I never use Fedora . I will try tomorrow on Ubuntu which I'm more familiar with and let you know....

thanks for your very very detailed report.

Here is my reply:

1) i suspect when you download MyIME_2.0.tar.bz2 some browser is very smart and automatically decompress to MyIME_2.0

2) seems you are not programmer, have no gcc installed.....

but as mention in my wepgae: "if you like to compile the source, type make. Otherwise, please skip this procedure, as there are pre-compiled binaries"

so you just skip the above step, then you should be able to install it

1) i suspect when you download MyIME_2.0.tar.bz2 some browser is very smart and automatically decompress to MyIME_2.0

What I meant was that the instructions refer to the file as MyIM while it is called MyIME (with an E)

but as mention in my wepgae: "if you like to compile the source, type make. Otherwise, please skip this procedure, as there are pre-compiled binaries"

Sorry, didn't read carefully....:oops:

I got it running ok on Fedora Core 4 but I can't invoke it with ctrl/space becuase SCIM is already set to run with ctrl/space.

I played with it and its quite cool, it can remember which characters I typed before - very nice , in this respect it reminds me of the ziguang pinyin method. Sadly it doesn't seem to remeber character combinations , so for example if I want to write Pudong (as in 'east Shanghai') - I get 暴動 ,but I can't get it to remeber the right combination (浦東)

I personaly think it would be easier to chose character options with numbers rather than using the arrows , having both options would be ideal (like in SCIM)

I can try on Debian and Ubuntu next week , if you are interested...

By the way - is there a way to switch between fantizi and jiantizi?

1) I have fixed that problem. Added back the "E"'s in the instruction page. Thank you

2) I tested in Fedora 5, and seems it can co-exists with SCIM. I have not tested in Fedora 4. I can use Ctrl-Space to invoke the input method

3) in fact this is the feature I would like you to test.

For the case of "pudong", I only got 暴動. However my input method can get candidate list from google search engine. So if you press Ctrl-Q, it will grab the choice from google search engine. This feature works well in Hong Kong, but in China, there may be problem in accessing google and this feature may not work.

Could you please tell me whether you can access:

http://www.google.com in internet explorer,

and when you enter pudong, can you see 浦東?

4) you can choose words with number keys

In the input method, click on "repair" button -> Other Settings -> in the text file there,

please modify [num_code_as_key] session to n. Then restart my input method

5) you can start ylamt for fantizi and ylams for jiantizi

Are you really foreigner or are you Chinese?

I managed to get use ctrl Q to choose 浦東 in google

(yes we can access www.google.com here in China....most of the time...)

very neat trick

but afterwards it didnt remember it in gedit and I still got 暴動.

For some reason I couldnt access the config file through 'other settings' just got an error saying "couldnt open config file"

I'm a foreigner living in China

1) amazing that foreigner know both traditional chinese and simplifed chinese

2) you cannot start other settings probably because you dont have gvim installed

in that case, you need to think of a way to edit ~/.ylamt/ylam.ini file

(I am not sure what editor you installed)

anc change [num_key_as_code] session to "n" instead of "y"

3) can you try somehting even more interesting, like whole sentence input:

for example: wozhuzaipudong (tell me what you get)

4) this is the feature i dont know whether to add or not:

you can choose dynamically add new phrases, i.e. in phrase editor,

type "pudong 浦東" and type "add code"

5) mind tell me where are you originally from? what is your profession?

6) could you recommend my little program to foreigners?

Hi,

I just installed your software without too much difficulties (FC5). I won't be able to test the input methods too much since i'm not familiar with Cangjie or Wubi, but i do have some feedback on the interface:

The text-entry bar starts off on top of all of the buttons when i run gedit with it, which is kind of inconvenient, and bad looking. In the window that opens up when you hit the 修 button, the text on the buttons is not fully displayed and is cut off some. Lastly, none of the urls worked when i tried update from URI, but the download links you posted in the install guide did work so i was able to use that.

Otherwise the input looks very promising.. don't suppose you would be able to implement one for Hanyu pinyin? :)

Keith

593_thumb.attach

594_thumb.attach

1) The text-entry bar starts off on top of all of the buttons when i run gedit with it, which is kind of inconvenient, and bad looking.

This will only happen the first time you run my program. You can move the toolbar around and next time when you start my program again, it will start in a new position.

2) In the window that opens up when you hit the 修 button, the text on the buttons is not fully displayed and is cut off some. Lastly, none of the urls worked when i tried update from URI, but the download links you posted in the install guide did work so i was able to use that.

Why is that???? I guess the problem is i only set a timeout of 5 seconds if try to access a URL. Is your network very slow?

3) Otherwise the input looks very promising.. don't suppose you would be able to implement one for Hanyu pinyin?

Isn't my program written for HanYu Pinyin?