Chinese-Forums

Translation needed

Snazzyviper

Hi all, I wonder if anyone could help me!?

I have seen the following on a website and thought it would look good as a tattoo on my lower underside forearm! The site I saw it on did say what it means, but I wanted to make sure it's correct as I can't rub it out if I have it done and it turns out to mean something else!!!

Anyway, here is what I would like translated please-

translate.jpg

I changed two of the characters to red as I thought it would look better!

Thanks for any help you can give.

Hi, thanks for taking the time to reply :)

This was on the site where I saw the saying/characters-

No use crying over spilled milk, meaning what's done is done and cannot be undone!

So it looks like the translation is correct :)

The reason why I liked it, is because years ago my mum and dad had just bought a new carpet and I dropped a drink on it :cry: I was shi**ing myself because I thought that I was going to get told off, but instead my mum just turned around and said "Don't worry about it, what's done is done" and that has always stayed with me! (don't ask me why!)

I also thought that it was such an appropriate sentiment for a tattoo, "what's done is done and cannot be undone"

But as you look at it, it reads No use crying over spilled milk what if people (who can understand it) don't understand the what's done is done meaning!!!!

Hmmmmm, so do you think that it would look/read ok or not?

Any thoughts appreciated?

The phrase has a negative connotation. It does not really imply that you should relax because you cannot undo what is done. It implies that something bad/regrettable has happened and there is nothing you can do to change/rectify it.

If you tattoo it on your body, and later you find that you don't like it anymore or that it does not really mean what you thought it did and you regret it, then that is exactly what the phrase means.

If you tattoo it on your body, and later you find that you don't like it anymore or that it does not really mean what you thought it did and you regret it, then that is exactly what the phrase means.
This kind of (small) tatoos can be taken off quite cleanly nowadays, actually. :mrgreen:

Thanks for all the replies people. Unless I'm 100% sure that it means what I want it to mean and that everyone else (who can read it) knows what it means, then I will not have it done.

As for the laser treatment, that is expensive and still leaves scars!

I just fancied something on my lower arm and thought that what I posted looked good and had a meaning that I could relate to!

If you have any ideas feel free to post them :)

Thanks