Chinese-Forums

F Visa for a US Citizen in HK

venture160

I am an american currently interning in Beijing on my HIT issued F type visa, which expires on the 19th of August. This fall, I will be studying at the People's University, and I have all the relevent paper work, including a JW202 form. I will be leaving China on the 17th of August for the states and coming back possibly through HK on the 29th to pick up a new 6 month (pref 1 year) mult. entry F visa.

I am not doing this in Beijing because, its a hassle, and RenDa can't do it in time for me to go home.

Has anyone else done this? What about doing it in the US, would it be easier there?

Thank you for your answers. This is what roddy already told me in a PM

Normally, it's very easy to get an F visa via an agency unless you have a US passport - I'm guessing you do, as you mention the states. Last I heard all US passport holders were being turned away by agencies and told to go to the official visa place in Hong Kong.

However, as you've got all the documentation you shouldn't need an agency - you should be able to turn up to the official place ( China Resources Building in Wanchai I think) and get the visa.

An alternative might be to get the visa while you are in the states.

That's all 'as far as I know' - you might want to post in public and see if you get any more info - I'm not a US passport holder, have never done an 'official' visa application in HK, etc. Quote my above answer if you want to show what info you've already got. Good luck!

Okay, I don't understand a few things. First, are you doing this hong kong trip just as a visa trip?

Second, what hassle are you talking about in beijing? Unless it's just an issue of money, I think beijing is about the easiest place in china to get an F visa done. In fact it's almost impossible to do in the other cities I've lived in. Just call a few agents and price shop, and they should all be able to get you a one year multiple entry F in a few days. You can get this type of visa if you're already on a Type F, which you are. so... sounds easy to me. I'm not sure what the details are, but it might be more complicated if you let your visa expire first. I would do it now.