Chinese-Forums

Help with translation

Devon

I've currently been searching the internet trying to find my name translated into chinese characters. Although there were a few sites that provided this for me for free, I have mixed results. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if either of the following translations are correct. If they both are, what is the difference between the two? They should both mean the male form of 'Devon'. Thanks for your time!

devoninchinese.gif

devan.gif

I think they are both acceptable. The romanisations of these two are "Dai Wen" for the one on top and "De Wen" for the one below.

If you need the meanings the one of on top could be interpreted as carry/with letters (as in a man of letters).

The one below ("De Wen") also means the German language, and if you break it down the first character means "virtue" and the second means "letters" (as in a man of letters).

Since your surname comes from the Celtic name of a county in England, why not just look up the existing official translation in a Chinese Atlas, instead of trying to make a new one?

The name in Celtic is Dumnonii.

If you could look up a Celtic dictionary to catch its meaning, that's a way to go too.

I am no expert by any means, but I have met several people whose surname is 戴. I think that having 文 as your given name shows a high level of of education and culture. I am sure that you will be pleased with this choice, and the Chinese you meet won't think your name is weird.

You'll get lots of strange looks if you pick the other one. Especially if you don't speak German

D.A.