Chinese-Forums

The meaning?

Snazzyviper

Hi all, Just read this motto but can't get my head around it's meaning!

"Everything visible is empty"

Any ideas?

These are the character that have been used for it, are they correct?

ezz31.gif

If so, could they be moved to run vertically from top to bottom and have some colour added like this-

blackandredbud.jpg

Thanks for any help that you can give.

Yes that's is what the phrase means.

Yes the characters can be arranged vertically.

Yes you can add that colour to the characters (though they don't look particularly nice IMHO and I am not sure how red would look in a tattoo on skin)

Also take a look at this webpage which is a discussion on a tattoo in chinese characters and happens to mention the translation of this phrase being "Form is emptiness" and "Tangible objects are indifferent from nothingness" -> http://www.hanzismatter.com/2005/03/lusty-misfortune.html

Thanks for your reply, that was very helpfull.

Does each character have it's own meaning as well?

The red will not be as red as that, more of a maroon colour. I just thought all black would look a bit dull!

More like this-

morelikethis.jpg

Sorry I can't see what you write (not got the text pack installed) I just see ????.

But I do know what you mean, but it may look a bit odd with 1 red and 3 black! (to the untrained eye!) I thought 2 black 2 red would even it out!

Am I also correct in saying that the other mean, Colour, Namely, This, Sky?

But when you read them as one it does still mean "Everything visible is empty"

Sorry to be a pain but it's going to be on my arm for life, so i want to mke sure everything is correct :)

Thanks

I think it should be like this:

色不异空,空不异色,色即是空,空即是色

I think it can be exaplined like this:

色不是不色,不色不是色,色就是不色,不色就是色。

色means "好色"= sexually lustful .

So, in the end, what it says is: People who looks sexually lustful (色狼), are really not, and the people who looks like they arent lustful at all, really are very lustful.

Lustful can be changed to whatever. What it says really is that people who looks to be one way, actually is the opposit.

Hi Snazzy, I would translate 色即是空 (se ji shi kong) as..."reality means nothing".

How do you get 色即是空 into "reality means nothing" ???

That is not what it means. 色 here means lustful and 空 here does not mean "empty", it only means "not lustful" or 不色. To understand it you have to read the whole thing.

See my post above for explanation

I'm not quite sure but I've got a strong feeling that this is a Buddhist saying and 色 doesn't mean "sex" (it does in some other uses, but not here.)

I still believe I am right. I just asked two Chinese friends (I live in China) to take a look, and they interpreted it the same way I did. They also told me that they have heard to phrase before in some shaolin gong fu movies so you saying that it is a budhist saying is probably correct.

I think it should be like this:

色不异空,空不异色,色即是空,空即是色

I think it can be exaplined like this:

色不是不色,不色不是色,色就是不色,不色就是色。

Sigh~ ~ ! I am speechless!

The explanation of 空 and 色in Buddhism -> http://www.fodian.net/zxcd/default.asp

无形曰空。有形曰色。

The intangible are called 空, while the tangible are called 色.

the explanation of 色即是空 in Buddhism-> http://www.fodian.net/zxcd/default.asp

色是指一切有形的物质,这些物质都是因缘和合而生的,其当体即空,故说“色即是空”。

色 means all the objects with some tangible shape. All these objects come into being because of 缘 (some unpredictable and intangible law in the universe), so the core of 色 is intangible. That’s why we say, “色 is 空.”

Thanks!

studentyoung just said that the meaning of the phrase has little to do with sex/lust as some members had said. Instead it is a Buddhist teaching about the tangible and the intangible.

The characters you posted are fine.

• 11 months later...

It's not a motto. It's a saying from the Chinese version of the "Heart Sutra", xin jing, a Buddhist text. You can also buy something with Guan/Kwan/Kuan Yin on one side, and the whole Heart Sutra[either in tradtional or simplified characters] on the opposite side. I don't know what it's called, "a plaque"?,sometimes with a knot on top and or bottom, but you can get it in Chinese stores.

Huh? No it doesn't. Think of this world as one full of "colors", not just "sex"!