Chinese-Forums

Uninstalling dictionaries on Plecodict

Madot

I've recently got the Pleco Dictionary and downloaded it onto a new Palm Tungsten E2. I think it's terrific, especially for looking up words consisting of several characters. The other day, however, I went back to the Pleco site and downloaded the other 3 free dictionaries and it seems to me that it doesn't work as well now. Has anyone had a similar experience? And if so, does anyone know how to UNinstall the extra dictionaries?

Mado

Already answered this by e-mail, but for the benefit of anyone else reading, here's how to uninstall an add-on dictionary in PlecoDict without reinstalling the whole thing:

1) Download and install the free utility FileZ from www.nosleep.net - it's a Palm OS file manager program that lets you sniff around in your Palm's memory and move / delete individual databases in a way that you can't otherwise do.

2) Tap on the FileZ icon on your Palm to run it, and tap on the View and Edit Files button to get to the file list.

3) Tap on the triangle next to "Internal" - a long list of files should appear. The triangle should remain hollow (an outline rather than a solid shape) - if it's filled in, tap on the "Internal" text and that should make it an outline again.

4) Scroll through the list of files, looking for the names of any of the dictionaries you installed. Each time you see one, tap on its name to put a check mark next to it, then go to the "Item" menu (tap on the "FileZ" text at the top of the screen to bring up the menu bar) and select "Delete" to delete it.

5) Scroll back up to the top of the screen, and click on the triangle next to "Internal" again to close that list of files.

6) Tap on the triangle next to the second item listed on the screen (should be called "External Card" or something along those lines). In that list, tap on the triangle next to "PALM", and then the one next to "Launcher".

7) Look through that list of files, and if you see any of the extra dictionaries you installed, delete it as you did in step 4).

8 ) You're done, press the Close button and try running PlecoDict again and the add-on dictionaries should be gone.