Chinese-Forums

need help choosing a chinese name for my chinese class!

chacha

hi

this semester im taking a chinese class & my teacher wants us to choose a chinese name for ourselves, so i was wondering if you ppl can help me with this... my family name is 許 (my great grandfather is from china, but me and my family dont speak chinese anymore) so i need a chinese name that fit this name .... i came across this name 優奈 ( = yuna in japanese) ... is this okay? i heard chinese have all this rules for choosing a name....if its okay can someone tell me how to read this name together with the family name? and if its not good can someone suggest me a chinese name that fit my family name? if its possible can i use the kanji 優 or 美 ???

thank you so much

Dear chacha, I think first of all we need to know if you are a man or a woman (I suppose a man wouldn't want a girlish name) and preferably your first name too so that the Chinese name may match with your first name.

許 is "Xu" (3rd tone) in Hanyu Pinyin.

優 is "You" (1st tone), meaning "very good, excellent"

奈 is "Nai" (4th tone), not a common word for chinese name

美 is "Mei" (3rd tone), meaning "beauti(ful)"

I think 許優美 (Xu Youmei) is an acceptable name for a girl. 優美 is also an adjective usually used to describe melody, scenic spots, paintings, etc. I think it is pronounced as Yumi in Japanese (well if this matters).

ahh yes im a girl btw...sorry i forgot to mention this before,

my first name is Lia and my middle name is rachel can i use something that match either one of this?but if not possible is okay, because i dont want to have a kanji name that just follow the pronounciation of my name.

btw i talked to my taiwanese friend and she mention that nowadays ppl dont use the kanji 美 as a name anymore...is that true?

Thanks

Dear chacha' date=' I think first of all we need to know if you are a man or a woman (I suppose a man wouldn't want a girlish name) and preferably your first name too so that the Chinese name may match with your first name.

許 is "Xu" (3rd tone) in Hanyu Pinyin.

優 is "You" (1st tone), meaning "very good, excellent"

奈 is "Nai" (4th tone), not a common word for chinese name

美 is "Mei" (3rd tone), meaning "beauti(ful)"

I think 許優美 (Xu Youmei) is an acceptable name for a girl. 優美 is also an adjective usually used to describe melody, scenic spots, paintings, etc. I think it is pronounced as Yumi in Japanese (well if this matters).[/quote']

許麗雅 (Xu Liya) is very good, but a bit plain IMO. Alternatively, you can consider combining the first syllables of Lia and Rachel, e.g. Lirui which can be written as -

麗瑞 (瑞 ~ blessed) or

麗蕊 (蕊 ~ stamen of flowers) or

麗睿 (睿 ~ having foresight)

Yet another alternative is Liru (麗如) (but this one is a bit plain).

And 美 is not outdated. Actually I think it sounds very elegant if used in a man's name.

And please these are Chinese characters, not kanji.

Yeah I know just me coming over all cynical and hostile again...

yeah! in beijing slang, we would say,

你很个!(ge3,you cant find this pronunciation in your dict, it's just a slang)

=你很有个性!

actually, you are not so ge, you are just 很调皮! :D

we can also say 你很哏儿!(gen2r, tianjin slang) =你真逗!(dou4, beijing slang)= you are so funny(not negative)!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

hi i still need help on this and my chinese class is coming in 2 weeks...i couldnt find a chinese online dic to help me out, but i came across a jpns dictionary, the problem is these names are OK in japanese, but I dont know how about in Chinese....also does it fit with 許?

優香 , 優佳 ,優花 ,優貴 ,優樹 ,優来,優恵 , 優希

:help:help:help

Thank you soooo much

why 優? you seem to like that character very much, and you want a name that sounds okay in both Chinese and Japanese... most of the words above don't even sound right in a name. 佳, 貴, 樹, 来, 希 are not even the characters I would ever use to name a girl. 優香.... is passable but weird. 優花.... I dont like 花 in a name. 優恵.... do you want to be the big discount? 优惠大减价!

If your name is Lia Rachel Xu, why don't you take mine or skylee's advice?

but i came across a jpns dictionary, the problem is these names are OK in japanese

In that case, why don't you just choose 許優奈 or something like 優美奈子 :conf

why 優? you seem to like that character very much,

:D i have my reason :oops: can't tell :wink:

and it doesnt have to sounds okay in japanese....all my sources are in jpns that's why i have all those name.... so any name with 優 would be fine...just wondering is 優 common used in chinese name? coz my jpns friend said that its common in jpns

I agree with Quest. They don't sound like Chinese names. If you must have 優, then perhaps 優美 is a better choice.

Although I think 麗雅 is the perfect name for you, you should pick the name you like best. It is just difficult to have a name with the word 優 that also sounds Chinese.

BTW, 許留珊 is a brand name. :wink: