Chinese-Forums

No cookies and milk?

Roee

This reminds me to ask about the mysterious timing of posts I sometimes experience:

Sometimes, after replying to someone's post I see that my post is under the post I replied to (as it should), but next time I visit the thread, I see some post(s) previously unseen mysteriously appearing above mine (I don't mean the case of new posts coming in while I'm typing.)

Do other people sometimes experience this?? Can it be the case that, due to some bug, posts are sometimes kept back (and not appearing immediately at the time they're posted)?

@HK: IIRC, posts from new members are moderated. Thus, they might take some time to cross the Great Wall of Roddy before making it onto the board. Try to check whether it only happens with new members (or members put under close scrutiny for other reasons :mrgreen: )

@HK: IIRC, posts from new members are moderated. Thus, they might take some time to cross the Great Wall of Roddy before making it onto the board.

I was wondering about that - my first posts appeared (to me) to be posted straight away, although I did wait a while before actually posting anything with this account after creating it. Was Roddy asleep or lightning quick?

I'll have to assume it's a browser + site issue rather than a site issue, which makes it hard for me to troubleshoot I'm afraid.

This reminds me to ask about the mysterious timing of posts I sometimes experience:

I think a read of the Terms and Conditions would explain this (where you'll also see a note on keeping on topic, I think :wink: ) - but basically yes, new members posts are checked before they go onto the board. How quickly I deal with them depends - if I'm 'working' I might be checking every half hour, if I'm busy it could be 24 hours. Generally speaking would be within 12 hours at most and often a lot quicker.

For reference, I just went through 20 new topics from new members (this is a lot, hadn't moderated for a day as I was out eating most of yesterday). 8 were approved, 4 were language exchange requests in random forums (put them in classifieds and I'm happy, but if you just put them in the first forum you happen to see I'm not going to bother moving it.), 4 were ads of one sort or another, and 4 were large chunks of copied and pasted Chinese texts from someone who thinks that the Reading and Writing forum is where he should supply us with things to read. There were also about 20 new posts to existing topics to check, which I didn't keep notes on, but they probably break down similarly.