Chinese-Forums

Chinese TV in America...possible?

Chinesemoon

I currently live in America, but I really want to watch tv in Chinese. I think it's interesting, and it would probably help my chinese greatly. Does anyone know of or have suggestions how I can watch chinese tv? Is there a special website anyone knows of?

Is it even possible? A person can dream...

www.cctv-4.com in Chinese

www.cctv-9.com in English abt China

www.wcetv.com a few different stations in Mainland and Taiwan - don't come in to well where I am, probably this lousy Argentine broadband connection

www.cctv.com a big site, but there are lots of archived shows there, Chinese, Spanish, English, etc.

Also check out http://www.tvforus.com/ - a lot of international broadband TV stations.

I heard there are websites that broadcast a greater variety of international stations - I think they broadcast some kind of satellite TV, but you have to pay to subscribe. The ones I listed above are free.

Where in the States are you? I remember that when I was in Philadelphia, WYBE would occasionally (maybe once or twice a week) broadcast Chinese soap operas and the "New Tang Dynasty" news. (Note: NTD is a Falun Gong organization, so, you know, exercise critical judgement about whatever they're saying.)

There are also satellite/cable services available that'll get you CCTV channels (note: CCTV is a Chinese governmental organization, so exercize critical etc.) These should be advertised in your local Chinatown.Also, some Chinatown bookstores will sell Chinese TV shows - particularly popular soap operas and the Chinese New Year Gala - on CD or DVD, so you might want to check that out too.

Most cable markets aren't big enough to justify having a whole bunch of Chinese channels in that one market. If you're looking for something commercial, though, I'd take a look at Satellite TV!

The Dish Network has a package of 17 Chinese channels for $30 dollars a month. I don't get any other packages from them and it costs me about $35 in total (I think I have local channels too, which is the other $5).

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/programming/international/packages/indexpackage.asp?languageType=Chinese

I've found that it's a very good package in general. If anybody is actually thinking about doing this, send me a PM, because I think we can both get $25 or $50 off if I "refer" you.

Channels (descriptions can be found in that link I copied above)

ATV HOME CHANNEL (AMERICA)

BEIJING TV (BTV)

CCTV-4

CCTV-9

CCTV-E&F

CCTV-ENTERTAINMENT

CCTV-OPERA

CHINA MOVIE CHANNEL (CMC)

CYRTV

DRAGON TV

FUJIAN SOUTHEAST TV (SETV)

GUANGDONG SOUTHERN TV (TVS)

HUNAN SATELLITE TV (HTV)

JIANGSU INTERNATIONAL CHANNEL

PACVIA TV

PHOENIX INFONEWS

PHOENIX NORTH AMERICA CHINESE CHANNEL

• 4 weeks later...

If you have relative in China/Taiwan, you can check out this sony product called LocationFree

Basically it is a device that hooks up with the cable TV at China/Taiwan, and the device will transmit the material over the internet and you can view them on your computer as long as you have internet connection and the program installed.

I saw it when I was at Taiwan around May this year, it is a bit pricey, around $400, but I think it is really awesome.

If you have relative in China/Taiwan, you can check out this sony product called LocationFree

Basically it is a device that hooks up with the cable TV at China/Taiwan, and the device will transmit the material over the internet and you can view them on your computer as long as you have internet connection and the program installed.

I saw it when I was at Taiwan around May this year, it is a bit pricey, around $400, but I think it is really awesome.

If someone at the other end is willing, this could be achieved with just a tv tuner or video input device.. given both have the bandwidth to support realtime transmission..

and... this made me think of wifi controlled robots equiped with optical/touch/feel/sound sensors.... you could live your life as a robot in a faraway place ...

• 1 month later...

I don't know what kind of topics you are looking for. I've been using www.chinaportal.com. They offer movies, satellite tvs and tv programs (such as interviews, social problems) which is what i like the most (being away from home but through this channel I get to know the latest hot topics/issues on the anaother side of the pacific ocean). Good luck!:lol: :lol:

• 2 weeks later...