Chinese-Forums

Sensitive literature.

xus-swede

Let's say that one would bring some totally banned literature to China, for example Mao: The Unknown story to China. Exactly how risky (or stupid?) would that be? I have some books in the shelf that I haven't read and I'm going to china in a couple of days. The books are all translated into Swedish but I'm still a bit curious since I know so little about this country. Should I leave them or bring them?

I think if you put them in your luggage you should be OK. I know I read somewhere on one of my official travel to China documents that they explicitly say, don't bring in literature detrimental to the moral character of China or something like that. Hide the book inside a pair of boxers or something, i'm sure they won't look there :wink:.

Richard Gere's movies were supposedly banned in China because of his political views (not sure if this is true or another Richard Gere rumor) but you can get his movies at any DVD rental place, even "The Red Corner". (Personally, I haven't been able to bring myself to watch another Richard Gere movie since not being able to get past the first 5 minutes of "Autumn in New York" )

You can get lots of action adventure DVDs where China is the bad guy, so they're not too thorough in enforcing censorship as long as you don't flaunt it or broadcast it to too many people. I for one cannot be influenced by those questionable DVDs because I have marked this favorite item off the official China Rant "301 ways to know you've been in China too long" list:

150. You start to watch CCTV9 and feel warm and comforted by the governments great work. :mrgreen:

And even if they do check your luggage, you're probably going to be ok unless the covers are very distinctive, or you're really unlucky, and get the one guy in the whole place who can read Swedish checking your luggage.