Chinese-Forums

TVB subtitles

Quest

Those of you who watch TVB dramas, have you ever been agitated by TVB's Chinese subtitles? I do not have examples with me right now, but one word I do remember -- 甭-- has been repeatedly and excessively mis-used in all of TVB's recent dramas. Whenever someone says "唔使谂喇" you will see "你甭想了" in the subtitles. 甭 and 不用 are similar, but they are not the same.

• 1 month later...

I've followed TVB drama from when I was 7 til now (20). Unfortunatley, they are becoming worst and worst. Now a days, most of the stories are poorly written, actors/actresses can't act, and TVB is getting lazy about costumnes. My parents lost interest in hong kong drama early on, but I kept to them until I realize most of the plots are repetitive. I've turn my attention to Taiwan and China drama series instead.

• 3 weeks later...

It seems to me that most of the subtitles that come out of HK are in WHITE text. I'm not targetting HK movie makers in particular (yeah right!) but white is fine to read when the background is constantly black, or other dark colours, such as navy blue or perhaps deep reds. But in something where background colours are constantly changing, often to shades of yellow or white - let's say.... I don't know..... like in a MOVIE, white subtitles do not work! This is something that really gets to me. How long can it take them to realise the subtitles are unreadable, or hard to read most of the time. I could understand if the subtitles were just in English and it wasn't subtitled for one of their main markets, but the movies with white subtitles always have simplified Chinese too.

And it's so easy to fix. In Australia, we have a channel called SBS which shows all its non-English language movies with subtitles that are yellow, with a black border around the letters. Not only are they non-intrusive to the movie, but you can always read them clearly 100% of the time.

I guess I could send some of the companies an e-mail about it, but it's much more fun to complain about it on an online forum.

[/rant over]

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

"金枝慾孽"好好看呀! 雖然很明顯在禁宮裡真正的男人(皇帝例外),包括御醫、侍衛,其實不能隨便行走,但只要容忍這點,戲就變得很好。(字幕就不過不失啦。)

結局圖片

(BTW, this font -> 衛 is in fact wrong. 哎呀呀 ~~~)

• 2 weeks later...