Chinese-Forums

including foul language or cursing in a dictionary?

geek_frappa

Sure, why not?

I think it is hard to draw a line between foul and not foul. How do you decide if the word 操 is foul or not (well in some context it is and in some it isn't)? To leave out some of the words/meanings the dictionary will be incomplete. And if I were a Chinese learner using this incomplete dictionary I wouldn't know if I had been insulted, would I?

A dictionary is meant to help people understand the meaning/usage of words. Including such words wouldn't make it foul.

These are my humble opinions. And I assume that you are talking about a Chinese dictionary.

• 2 weeks later...

hey! :) many teachers are using my website for their classes.

i don't think i should add the foul language.

instead, maybe we can make a separate dictionary with all these things.

:oops: teachers have been e-mailing me with praises, so i guess i have a niche market ...

what is my next step?

Foul languages should be included. Fxxk is a difficult word to use. Cxxt is even more difficult as you would seldom see it in a movie.

what do u mean that it's a difficult word? hard to find an occasion to use? :lol:

i think thats an easy word to use, just see hollywood's movies and you can easily master it. :wink:

I think including rude words and phrases in a dictionary would be a good idea. There's a general problem with rude words/idioms/euphemisms in that they're not in the beginners dictionaries, so half the time you have to ask your friends or teachers what they mean e.g.

他妈的

打飞机

It would also be useful to point out potential misunderstandings e.g.

the new meaning for 同志 etc.