Chinese-Forums

China Netcom - Router question..

Jizzosh

I currently have a D-Link 624+CN router and for the life of me, cannot get the router to connect properly to my CNC service. I've selected PPPoE, entered the username and password, and no matter what I've tried, cannot get the damn thing to connect correctly and login to the service.

I can log in and get the thing to work without error when I plug a laptop in directly, but for some reason, there just seems to be no method of getting the router I have to work.

I can try and rig the setup to share an established connection on one PC between them all (actually how I'm currently doing it), but I'd really rather have the ease of use, and extra security of the router, and not have to funnel the other 2 machines through this one...

Is anyone currently setup with CNC, and using a router or some access point to allow multiple computers through a single connection (wireless)? Is it a simple case of just getting a newer/different brand router?

Thanks to anyone who can offer insight or help on this issue!

Josh

When you say it works when you plug it in directly, do you mean that

a) it works when you connect laptop to modem via cable, bypassing the router, or that

B) it works when you connect laptop to router via cable, but not via wireles.

It sounds like you've done everything necessary for wired access, at least. Wireless can be a bit trickier. If you reckon the router is the problem, try returning to factory settings (usually power off, press and hold reset button, power on, release reset button), and then start from scratch.

What error messages are you getting?

Hey Roddy.. Thanks for the input... I tried everything I could possibly think of and to no avail.

I ended up just taking the trek down to Zhongguancun and picking up a TP-Link, and it worked without issue as soon as I plugged the thing in. Must have been a bad D-Link or just didn't work with CNC's modem...

Anyhow, it's all working, but I wanted to thank you for your input and time!

Josh

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Josh and Roddy or anyone,

Please can you help me fix my brother-in-law's PPPoE connection to CNC?

He's connecting to CNC via PPPoE using a very old looking plain white modem on an old PC runnung Win2k. His CNC supplied PPPoE application is set to remember password and he's lost the bit of paper from CNC which has the password written on it.

My laptop is running fine at my sister-in-law's place using the builtin WinXP PPPoE after she told me her password, but as my brother-in-law didn't know his password I tried to setup ICS on his system using a USB 10/100 LAN adaptor to connect to the laptop.

Here's where it all went wrong

Firstly on his win2k system it wouldn't give me a sharing tab on the PPPoE properties in the network control panel, so I tried setting up sharing on his PCI LAN card connected to the modem. This failed because it said the card was already being used for PPPoE.

Not sure what I did next, but I managed to get it to setup ICS on the PCI LAN card, but then found that CNC's PPPoE application complained that it could find an internet connection.

Then I made the real big mistake of deleting the PCI LAN card from the device manager instead of my USB LAN adaptor.

I managed to download a copy of the PCI LAN card driver onto a flash stick at the sister-in-law's and reinstall his PCI LAN ok.

Help

The PCI LAN card now works getting DHCP from the modem, but his CNC supplied PPPoE application still complains it can't find the internet? :cry:

ICS is turned off and the USB LAN adaptor is removed so everything should be back to how I started.

Please can someone help me before he comes home on Saturday afternoon, and finds I've broken his computer :help

Banjo

I'm afraid you have little option but to go on the run and hope your brother never catches you.

I have no idea what you've done, and running Win2000 complicates things. He should have set-up discs from CNC somewhere with software on, you might want to try reinstalling that, but if you don't know the password . . .

Normally I'd try (recommend) ignoring the CNC application and setting up the connection directly in windows, but if you don't know the password . . .

You might be able to get the password back by dialing 10060 - that's the usual Netcom customer service number. Not sure if they'll hand it out over the phone.

What happens if you plug your laptop in and try to connect via the modem?

Incidentally, you should be able to get online from your brother's place using your sister-in-law's password - Netcom ADSL accounts aren't tied to a particular fixed line (although they're changing this at the moment) - you won't be able to have them both online at the same time though. And you might get your sisters account shut down if they notice and think it's been hijacked. Enjoy!

Thanks Roddy, your first option sounds good to me. Especially as my wife tells me he actually comes back to Jinan Sunday morning and we leave for Shanghai Saturday night. :lol:

As I don't speak Mandarin, I'll see if my wife can get any help from CNC today, otherwise we'll just have to leave him a crate of beer. :oops:

PS: The sister-in-law's password directly from my laptop was the first thing I tried, but that didn't work. Perhaps they've already started tying passwords to lines in Shandong :(

I'm coming in a bit late on this one but i have the same setup with the DLINK wifi router. It is indeed slow to connect to the adsl and sometimes, you just need to get into the web interface and renew the connection.

An easy work around is to power everything off.. ( CNC modem, router....) restart the ADSL modem first. Wait 30seconds and power up the router then wait a minute to connect to the net. It works everytime. I have the unlimited ADSL plan from CNC and just leave the router on 24/7.