Chinese-Forums

airline restrictions & laptops

Madot

Suggestions please for the best way to carry a laptop (mobile? iPod? PLECODICT???) if we are not permitted to carry them as hand luggage!

What are people planning to do? Would you try to pack all such devices in your big suitcase, among the clothes and hope for a soft landing? Would you put the small devices there but the laptop in its own bag and hope for the best? Put all electronic devices together into your computer bag and pray no one nicks the lot?

Mado

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that those restrictions only apply to flights originating in the UK - in the US, the ban only applies to liquids, and I haven't heard about any countries other than the UK banning laptops / books / electronics / etc. UAL's website has a good summary.

If you do need to bring your laptop / PDA along as hand luggage, though, I'd definitely pack them well, and you might also want to look into getting a laptop insurance policy since international baggage coverage is very limited and likely wouldn't cover the replacement cost of the laptop if your bags were lost.

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that those restrictions only apply to flights originating in the UK - in the US, the ban only applies to liquids, and I haven't heard about any countries other than the UK banning laptops / books / electronics / etc. UAL's website has a good summary.

Hong Kong TVB news have been highlighting how passengers are given the same restrictions.

Other than my wallet and passport, I plan on putting all my valuables in my check-in luggage. If that's the case, maybe the airlines will be increasing the weight limit for a passenger's check-in luggage.

According to this, the only issue with flying from Oz is that you can't carry liquids on flights to the US or UK, so I really don't think you'll have a problem. Check with your airline and let us know what they say.

That said, what are people flying out of the UK planning to do?

The news may be sensationalising things (as usual), but there is talk that restrictions such as no liquids and no electronic devices in carry-on luggage are to be introduced. Being blessed (cursed?) with curly hair, I plan to post hair products which I am unlikely to be able to find in China. As to the electronic devices, however, I will of course check with my airline (Singapore Air) closer to departure on 1 September, but I guess I've been trying to be 'prepared'... otherwise known as trying to stave off acute anxiety. .. :-) Thanks for the tip about laptop insurance. Where do you get it???

Mado

Madot,

What hair products do you need that you assume you can't get in China? Like many foreigners who come to China, I brought loads of crap with me my first time over that I could've very easily bought here: toothpaste, hand sanitizer, ibuprofen, hair gel, long johns, office supplies, etc., etc.

Shampoo, conditioner, gel, spray, dye...there's lots of it here. I am a guy though, so maybe some of you ladies could chime in. :lol:

I think that you'll find that young, urban Chinese people are some of the most hair-concious people out there. Seems like there's a (legit) hair salon on every corner here. Can't really speak to quality though. :lol:

I'm flying from the UK to Hong Kong tomorrow. I need to take my laptop so I'll be packing it with foam in a hard suitcase with a lock.

The major dangers are:

1) The suitcase getting thrown around by baggage handlers, hence the need for foam.

2) The pressure on the screen from potentially being on the bottom of a stack of baggage, hence the hard suitcase.

3) Theft from the suitcase (from experience I know this to be a definite problem in Beijing airport), hence the lock.

4) Theft or loss of the suitcase. Not much I can do to prevent this except for labelling it with my name, contact details and flight number. If it does disappear, compensation is fixed by international treaty at about 1200 euros -- enough to buy a basic new laptop.

And of course I'll be backing up any important data.

This is annoying. I live in London and was about to book my flights. I won't go into the politics of it all, suffice to say it's all very irritating :)

The bans on hand luggage are currently over the top. Although you are now allowed to buy things airside (such as duty free, bottles of water etc) for flights out of the UK (NOT to the US, though; fly there and everything is still banned), you can't bring simple things like drinks with you through the airport.

Apparently, the plan was to smuggle explosives (not necessarily liquid) in the bottom half of a modified energy-drink bottle. Those you can't see through. The top half would have contained the drink, so it would appear normal. Clever. But ... carrying a totally clear bottle of water doesn't seem to be a risk. Anyhoo ...

My issue is more with all my gadgets (laptop, digital camera, palm pilot) etc. This issue is no doubt shared by many travellers. These things don't break easily so I'm not woried about damage, but I am worried about theft. As I can't get any decently cheap flights, I'm probably going to pick the comfort of Singapore Airlines. I'm hoping I can move stuff from checked-in luggage to hand luggage during my stopover. At least it removes the Beijing handlers out of the equasion. It stands to reason that the lower paid the staff, the more incentive there is for them to steal £1000 worth of gadgets.

Yesterday there were some comments that "some" of the new restrictions would be permanent. Ouch. There was even a hint that this could include hand luggage. Provided the rules are changed (more security in baggage handling and proper compensation for stuff lost) then I don't mind much. At least people will get on and off the plane quicker :)

It used to be airline policy to ask passengers to carry all valuables with them. As they now cant do that, they will need to increase compensation for lost bags.

Today I just got this from the BBC news web site :

On Friday afternoon, ministers reiterated to airline and airport operators that current hand-baggage restrictions were only expected to be in place for "a limited time".

So .. who knows. I either cancel my trip (never), decide not to fly (slow boat to China, anyone?) or put up with the restrictions. I'll pick the latter and hope for the best.

Someone recommended using FedEx to courier over your valuables when you fly. Hassle. Especially if you haven't sorted out where to live yet :)

I doubt the UK restrictions will last for more than a few weeks - long-term restrictions would cause HUGE problems for British Airways (and the UK economy in general), since they would kill Heathrow's status as a major European hub; people not actually flying to London would start to actively avoid BA and take Lufthansa or Air France or another flag carrier instead. For flights to Asia even UK residents (or at least UK business travelers) might start routing through another country - take a quick flight to De Gaulle, retrieve your laptop from checked baggage and then you can actually get some work done on that 10-hour flight to Beijing.

people not actually flying to London would start to actively avoid BA and take Lufthansa or Air France or another flag carrier instead.

This is exactly what I am considering. I mean it is not a must to fly to Heathrow if all I want is to go from HK to Madrid. Certainly would opt for AF.

New luggage restrictions from the UK's Dept of Transport.

As I read it - you can now take ONE piece of hand luggage. Laptops and other electricals are fine, but no liquids. However, liquids you buy after security will be fine (ie they won't take them off you at boarding - unless you are flying to the states, in which case they will take them off you.

Not sure if this means they'll actually be strict about size restrictions. Much saner than the last few days though.

These apply to flights out of the UK. Not sure on the current deal for flights into.

Roddy

I agree that there is major over reaction here... especially considering the nature of the threat, ie they caught them BEFORE anything got near the planes... if indeed this turns out to be a threat as there have been mistakes made before... I cant believe that the only response measure they have in place is to close down one of the worlds most major airports and then place heavy restrictions upon carry on... just wait till the first wave of claims hit... then the costs will start to hit hard... and I can see another hike in airfares due to "increased security costs"...