Chinese-Forums

Term of address

JohnDoe2

In many American universities, the professor/teacher/instructor will dispense with the title of Mr. Ms., Mrs. Dr., etc. and opt for a first-name basis for address.

Is such a thing desirable in the Chinese university, or should the professor maintain the formality by requesting that the student address him by his title?

In American universities, the Asian students exhibit mixed reactions to the practice among professors who encourage students to address them by their first names.

I suspect that the administration of the Chinese university will probably encourage (if not demand) the formality of using titles.

Comments, anyone?

> a pseudonym

[What, you mean like John or something? Come on, let's not get "bogged down" in this hostility and cynicism thing.]

When I was working in the PRC I had two groups of students. My small advanced postgraduate English-only class called me by my first name. And my 60-strong unable-to-string-a-sentence-together undergrad half-Chinese-medium class called me "Teacher" or "Laoshi" (=teacher). That's how students address their Chinese teachers. But other foreign teachers, like Mark, may have other ways that work for them.

Yes, the school (or the "class leader", the banzhang, who is a Commie spy -- really!) may tell you what the preferred address is. They may also tell you that at the end of the class you should make it obvious it's the end, by saying "The class has ended" at the end of the class. Apparently Chinese teachers actually say "Xia ke le".

The school will in fact tell you various things, most of which you can make your own mind up about, or safely ignore.

Have we had a thread about terms of address in Chinese? Like, nobody uses first names at all much. And, as parents, we address the manager of our son's nursery school as "Suozhang" which means "School (or educational establishment unit thingy) Manager", for example. You don't really get this in English much (except for say Doctor, or Officer for a policeman, but to me that sounds like taking the piss anyway). And in Chinese you can say Job-title_Surname, like Li Changzhang is Factory Manager Li.