Chinese-Forums

Do American univerisites usually accept transfer credits from Chinese univeristies?

WoAiJolinTsai

the whole process can be pretty tricky. The best if your school offers the study abroad. If not, like in your case, ask all of your Chinese teachers, and other students if they have done the same. My good friend went with Council, but never got credit for her time in Shanghai. Be careful of the program you pick. Another way around it would be to have a teacher at your school sponsor you in a 3 credit "independent study" class, and just turn in your homework to both the teachers in China and to your teacher at your school. That might work.

good luck:)

I did exactly what you want to do. Take a study abroad program such as the one offered by CCIS http://www.ccisabroad.org/. You get around 16 US college credits a semester (how your school will accept them is a different matter) up to one year of study. You get lessons in Chinese from Nanjing University English faculty in English. There are as well other programs through other US schools but they cost about 2-3 times more (I don't know if you have to be their student or not). Although it is possible to enroll in similar Chinese-run programs it is more complicated and I think it will be difficult to transfer that back to the US. Plus you can test for the HSK if you want.

A few of the admissions people I spoke with told me that as long as the university is an accredited university they will accept the credits from that school. I don't know if this holds true for study-abroad programs, but it should if you are directly enrolled.

Even if you get credit and enroll through your school or a local based study abroad organization, you will probably be paying so much more than if you just enrolled in the Chinese university directly. If you are in a language program, can they give you the credit for the equivalent language courses you would be completing abroad?

If the transfer credit really matters, I would have it all aproved for the specific summer program in writing by your dept and college registrar beforehand, like before putting down money. Dont rely on a verbal, "sure we take transfer credit from xyz." That is just begging for trouble down the line from misunderstanding, or wishful thinking on your part, or incompetence on the part of the person you talk with. With a letter spelling it out, you know exactly what's required and you have recourse if some administrator changes his mind.

A university in the U.S. should require the Chinese university to furnish them (1.) course syllabus (2.) official transcript upon completion of the course. On top of that, you won't be able to get Federal grants and loans if you don't have those things.

I'd take whatever Chinese universities say with a grain of salt. A friend of mine was promised that he will graduate from his Chinese university with a B.A., but as it turned out, they have changed their mind and will only be giving him a certificate. The unfortunate thing is that there are still not too many U.S. schools that have exchange programs in China, although I think that is changing.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the bad thing. My college does not offer Chinese at all, so I went through an entire process, and finally got a letter from the Vice Preasident fo Academis Affairs denying my credit. This was 1 month before I was supposed to go. Glad he told me.

I ended up not spending the month of August(now) in Beijing, but have transferred to another college that offers Mandarin. I am taking a beginning 1001 class now, and have already gotten approval for the credit the next time BCLU offers a 4 week class. So, delayed gratification I guess.

I hear the BCLU has a class in Feburary? Is that true? For 4 weeks? I would like to go then.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it not possible to just learn Chinese to your fullest and then just Test out at the Uni?

If I happen to attend college in the US again this is what I would do. With 4 years or so of Chinese study there's no way I'd be force into another set of foreign language classes unless I wanted to (If I wanted to study Spanish for example).