Chinese-Forums

measure words

Qiuyue

I am looking for text-books about measure words, or alt., books with long chapters or lists of measure words (german or english). I haven´t found any at the bookstores in shanghai, and on Amazon they only had two books on chinese measure words, both by the same author and both without reviews or ratings. Has anyone any tips?

(I know there is a list on Wiki, but as I live in China I cant reach it :( )

Getting around the Chinese firewall is incredibly easy with Opera (Not sure about other browsers).

Follow the simple instructions if you're interested.

Main Menu

Tools => Preferences

-Click Advanced Tab

--Click on the Network Link in the side menu

---Click the button that says proxy servers

----Enter your information

-----Click on the left checkbox to activate/deactivate usage

You can find proxy servers on Google, just type in something like public proxy servers. Just a couple things you should be aware of.

1) Information you send is sent through that computer (Proxy Server), so make sure you don't send anything sensitive like Email logins of Bank details. It's possible the person running the proxy could steal that info if their malicious.

2) To get a page you need to go through two computers, so it's slower then your normal connection. If you find pages are loading slowly go back to the button and de-activate the proxy.

Also, some work better then others, so if one doesn't work well, try another until you find one that works decently.

Or, the lazy way.

http://www.anonymouse.org

It's alright, but you have file size limitations, advertising, and weird URL's.

Hope this helps you out in your quest.

I found a pretty good book about measure words in the Wangfujing Bookstore and the other book store in Wangfujing, (I forgot the name. It has "foreign" in it.) so you must be able to find it in Shanghai. The book's called "量词一点通:The Prompt Understanding of Measure Words."

The editorial note says that the "book covers 157 common measure words in the following four categories: measure words for nouns, measure words for verbs, double-function measure words and compound measure words."

EDIT: I just noticed that it is published by BLCU.

A Chinese-English Dictionary of Measure Words is what I have, and I like it a lot. It goes through the measure words with a brief explanation of its usage and then many examples for each. It is published by Sinolingua - I haven't seen a bad Chinese reference book from them yet. Pick them up while in China, they are super cheap.

• 2 weeks later...