Chinese-Forums

Pinyin Tones on a Palm

fulgentius

I have a Palm Tungsten E which I am currently turning into a Chinese learning machine. I've got CJKOS and Supermemo installed (and probably will get KDIC soon). I just have one question:

Is it possible to input proper pinyin tone marks in Palm OS? The characters look fine but I'd rather avoid using numbers if I can help it.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I am afraid I killed Fulgentius' thread with an erroneous response. I wrote that the TX wireless keyboard could type the Pinyin accents...because I had just discovered how to write the accents in a keyboard mapping table.

AHHHHhhhhh, but my aging eyes are increasingly feeble, so I mistook some of the accent marks in the table as being suitable for Chinese.

The keyboard will make the acute and grave accents but it will not make the long vowel accent (hyphen-like) nor will it make the inverted circumflex.

Please, help me save some face lost by being too eager to help.

TIA!

I just had a look at a page with pinyin fonts - this one, as it happens - with the Blazer browser on my TX. It displayed the pinyin tones ok, but some of the glyphs are smaller and uglier than the others, so I guess they're being pulled in from a seperate font as the standard one doesn't have them. This only works when CJKOS is enabled - disable it and you get garbage for some of the toned letters - so I assume CJKOS is playing a role here somewhere.

However, try and copy and paste those into other apps (tried Docs to Go, Memos and Contacts) and you get the garbage, regardless of whether CJKOS is running or not - random symbols if it's not, random Chinese characters if it is. Don't have SuperMemo installed, so couldn't try it with that.

So display is possible, in some apps, if you have CJKOS installed. Input though . . . not sure. Tried to see if CJKOS made it possible, but couldn't manage it.