Chinese-Forums

Z visa issue

Glorian

Hi everyone...

I wonder if someone could please offer some advice.

I currently have a "Resident permit/z visa" which will expire in Feb 2007.

My current contract with the school which provided the Z visa will finish at the end of September. I am planning to move to another language school in the same group, but in a different province.

My current school is adament that they want to change my z visa to a tourist visa when I leave. The new school will not be able to get me a new z visa as I do not have a degree.

What I need to know is if my current z visa is tied to my current school - or is anyone aware if I can change it to another province.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Your Z-visa expired the day you got your residence permit. A Z-visa is merely an entry visa, which must be changed to a residence permit within 30 days. You or your school did that.

However, your residence permit is tied to your previous employer. Leave that employer and your permit dies. So, you need a new visa.

• 1 month later...

Can I ask how you got a Z visa without a degree? My employer is now saying I need to go to China on a Tourist Visa because they cant get me a Z visa without me having a degree.

Working on a tourist visa is illigal right? So how do I go about getting a Z visa without a degree? Any advise appreciated thank you.

Working on a tourist visa is illegal. There are also *many* schools that cannot legally employ foreigners, but tell them "just come in on a tourist visa, and we'll sort out the work permit when you arrive". If you search any internet forum about teaching in China you will find plenty of horror stories explaining why doing this is a bad idea.

If your prospective employer can't get you a Z visa before you come into the country (or at the very least an F visa), then my advice would be to find somewhere else.

Thanks Liuzhou. That link was awesome - very informative website regarding teaching in China for begginners!!! Much appreciated!

As it is, I contacted my own embassy. They said I only need an F Visa if im only going to be there for 5 months, and also that I won't need to contact the PSB or get a medical. So back to my school to tell them to do things properly!!