Chinese-Forums

simple translation help / sanity check

heifeng

Hello,

I just want to verify some translations....I think I already forgot how things are worded in English so I need a sanity check=)

主办单位 协办单位 支持单位 承办单位

Organizers

Assistant Organizers or Co-organizers

Supporting Organizations

Partner Organizations

Does this sound about right? Somehow I don't think it's going to matter in the long run, but I guess I am just looking at these and not seeing the "different roles" they actually have in terms of organizing a big event...If anything this is just for my general understanding....Thanks in advance!

ps, I am just adding this on second thought b/c it's been bothering me for a while, how do you translate 循环经济型社会...it seems many Chinese articles include 循环 something or rather....

.it seems many Chinese articles include 循环 something or rather....

Don't worry, last week they all included 和谐, then before that it was 双赢, then before that is was 人文 or something.

I've seen this translated as both 'cyclic' or 'circular' economy. Googling both terms brings up a worrying number of China-based sites, which always makes me think it's one of those terms which only exists in China (humanist Olympics? As opposed to what, pray tell?) Circular economy seems to be more popular globally, although closely associated with China. See link

"Circular economy is new to the World Bank, but the more we learn about it, the more we like it," said Andres Liebenthal, country sector coordinator with the World Bank Office in Beijing.

If it's new to the World Bank, I'm not sure how we're meant to understand it :D

To be honest I think it's a bit of a misnomer - it just means better recycling, waste management, etc, all of which can be done quite happily under the current 'rampant capitalist economy' It's not even particularly circular - there's nothing circle-shaped about waste heat from a power-plant being used to keep greenhouses warm, but that's the kind of thing it seems to refer to.

'cyclic' or 'circular' economy. Googling both terms brings up a worrying number of China-based sites,

Yes, this is exactly what I mean....It makes me feel like I am falling to the trap of giving a very Chinese sounding English translation...ugh...

(humanist Olympics? As opposed to what, pray tell?)
Is it just me or does much of Chinese language seem to be a explosion of the obvious!! I also personally like how "合法" has to be thrown in so frequently too since, well, so much 违法 behavior going on apparently....

p.s. the roaches have suddenly disappeared in the office. work efficiency is on the rebound, ice cream consumption has plummeted....

Thanks for the feedback so far...............