Chinese-Forums

Software challenged - need help with XP

billiardsmike

I went to finally install the East Asian language pack on my laptop and it requires the setup disk, which I haven't seen in 2 years. Searching Microsoft has turned up nothing. Any ideas? I didn't mind not seeing characters before because I don't know them, but now that I'm here to study, they might be just a wee bit important.

I think the Windows XP discs are required for the install. Try to borrow them from friends if you can't find yours.

In the meanwhile, you can use NJStar Communicator for viewing and inputting Chinese texts on Windows. The free demo has no expiration date and is fully functional. It's just that the purchased copy has better-looking fonts.

http://njstar.com/communicator/

Ideally, you need a copy of Windows XP as the files needed to install the language are quite large and aren't easily available for download.

You could try here

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie6/downloads/recommended/ime/install.mspx

I'm not sure if that's the whole language pack or just the IME. Unless IME does mean the whole language pack, in which case it is all you need. Give it a go, and report back :)

Thanks Adrian, but that will only install the IME I need if I'm using a language pack different than what came with XP. I still need the original (or substitute) language pack. It doesn't look like IME won't run alone, and even if it did, I have to learn to read, much less write. Thanks again.

Anyone around BLCU got an XP disc I can borrow/rent/buy?

BTW, NJStar looks very powerful, but like I said, I'm a software moron and can't even understand half the terms needed to set it up or run it.

Here's a brain teaser for you Gato. I still can't see any characters on websites or on this forum, but when I open a different email alert regarding a new post, all of the characters showed up perfectly in the email body. I linked to the thread and saw nothing. ???

Did you install NJStar Communicator? Which program are you using to read the email you mentioned? If it's IE, you probably can read the Chinese in the email because you've already installed the Chinese fonts that's needed. However, you need an IME (input method) to enter Chinese text. As for why you can't read any Chinese on this forum, well, let's get more info from you and we'll have at it.

I installed the NJStar Communicator and have the pop up buttons on my screen. I read the email on Yahoo using Firefox (I wouldn't use IE if you paid me!) As far as I know, I have no language related program on this computer other than NJStar. I also can not read characters on other Chinese websites, one of which I got as a link from NJStar!

Again, Thanks!

I'm puzzled by why you are able to read Chinese on Yahoo email but not here. I'm assuming running NJStar Communicator, and that's what's allowing to read Chinese on Yahoo. Is that correct? Do you get garbage on Yahoo when you turn NJStar off?

Also can you go to Firefox's Tools menu, Options, Content tab, and check for the fonts used for Chinese? Click on "Advanced" in the font area of the Content tab and find Chinese on the list of languages. What font do you see for Simplified Chinese. Installing the East Asian package from the Windows CD would put the Songti font in place. Perhaps installing some other Chinese font from the net would solve the problem for you.

You might want to try one of these for now (though they are more for print than for display).

http://www.sino.uni-heidelberg.de/edv/sinopc/chinese_fonts.htm

go into one of those computer stores that has disks for sale, along with mother boards, key boards and everything. they will certainly have an XP disk. ask for an english language disk. otherwise you can get one from a friend, laptop or not and it should do the trick

I think Yahoo and Gmail have Chinese characters imbedded in their programming language. If you cannot see the characters, you can set your encoding to automatically detect Chinese. You can also set your setting to Unicode. I have no problems.

If getting a disk fails, I can shoot you a disk through the mail...just say the word

Thanks everyone, but several of the suggestions presented me with numerous options I could only guess at. If someone gave me a silver bullet right now, I probably have my computer so screwed up it would misfire. I'll probably look for someone to configure it for me (for a fee). Any volunteers?

Again, thanks for helping. Ignorance on the recipient's part is not your fault!

Ah, too late I'm afraid. The saga gets worse. It's impossible to buy XP home in English here and I didn't want to pay 1800 yuan for Pro, so I experimented with a pirated Pro. It knocked out some security software I have and I'm very vulnerable, as well as getting irritating messages from Microsoft every few minutes. Legit Home packages available are only for Windoes 95 or earlier. Since I've had some other problems with my laptop, I figured I splurge for a new one. Got a pretty handy one for 6,000 yuan, with Pro and packaged software. Now I just have to get it configured for a few things and figure out if I can transfer Norton licenses or if I have to repurchase.

Thanks,

I got the Norton back up. I mainly wanted the firewall and the systemworks for maintenance. AVG is great. It caught trojan horses that Norton and Antivir missed. Really no problems with pirate 1.0? No real issues with lack of updates?

I never had a key. I installed the Pro because I couldn't get Home in English here. Even my old home was OEM three years ago. I guess if it gets too bad, I'll just have to buy legit Pro. This may happen, as my new backup machine refuses to reboot after I got the Norton on it.

At the moment , all Windows XP machines can get updates regardless if they are legit or no.

A pirated version is exactly the same as a legit one so it is unlikely that it is the reason why your back up bachine wont boot. It's probably Norton that causes it.

Check out this link on how to set up security for free without resorting to using Norton.

I personaly have found Norton to slow down my machines and conflict with other softwares.

Norton Ghost is great though.

I'm sure it's the Norton causing the boot problem. This is on the backup Haier computer I just bought. My original machine (gateway) is the one with the pirated XP. It's now fine except for the irritating Microsoft messages. I don't use the norton anti-virus, mainly the checkup/cleanup functions of systemworks. The ghost is new to me. When I get my Haier up, I'll check it out. All in all, I overreacted in panic, bought a machine I don't need and now it doesn't work. Good thing it was cheap.