Chinese-Forums

Studying at a private school -- visa questions

kezhengze

I entered China on a Z visa (which was then changed into a residency permit by my employer), but that's been cancelled since I just finished up my contract. The local public security bureau issued me a 30 day tourist visa (L), which I will need to change into something more long term (preferably a year) after I enroll in a language school.

I was planning on enrolling at Global Village (地球村) but when I asked them about a visa, they said they don't handle any of that... Is this the case for most/all private language schools? If so, what visa are you people using to study at a private school? I know an X visa might be difficult for them to sponsor, but I was hoping they could at least get me an F. I guess another option is to go ahead with my original plan of studying at Tsinghua, since I've already been accepted there. That is, of course, assuming they would be able to convert my L into an X.

Any advice appreciated,

~Ke

Global Village used to have a visa desk at their reception, I'd be surprised if they couldn't at least refer you to an agent. Otherwise, you probably need to look at something like Changing an L visa to F via an agent. Another possibility would be a visa run to HK.

EDIT - actually, a read through that whole thread will be useful, although you really need to check with Qinghua.

Diqiucun used to be able to extend student visas but has no authority to issue them. I think.

As for Qinghua, you will have to register with the police, and get your health exam, and take these things to the international student office and they will help you convert L to X as long as you have all of the proper paper work... But I was told this is how things will go for me next week. If they don't, I will update when I get back from Hong Kong...

all the proper paperwork being: letter of acceptance, JW 202 form.