Chinese-Forums

Americans getting 6 month F visas

Xiao Kui

Back in the day it was easy to get a 6 month F visa in Hong Kong as an American citizen. Then in 2003, the only 6 month F visa they would give an American was one where you had to leave China every 30 days. My understanding was this was retaliation for the US gov't fingerprinting Chinese (and everybody) who wanted visas to the States following the 9/11 attacks.

So my question is: what's the current situation for Americans being able to get the F visa. What kind can you get? Do you have to leave China every 30 days? What's the best place to get it done BJ or HK? I am basically looking for an F visa that will allow me to stay in China for abt 6 months, before I have to renew it again.

I don't care if it's single or multiple entry - the most important thing is that I won't have to leave China again for 6 months, because I'm planning to live in Kunming, where it will be too expensive to do monthly visa runs out of the country. Thanks in advance for your help!

Hey, Xiao kui

I am Canadian so my knowledge is second hand, but here goes. Six months ago my American friend was in the same position, he had to go across the border every 60 days, and he could only get a 2 entry Business visa. So essentially his 6 month visa was only good for 2 months. While talking to our visa guy we found that this situation only happens the first two business visas you get; the 3rd one you get will be 6 months multiple entry no limitations. I am not sure if you have had business visas before, so not sure if this helps. I recommend contacting a visa agent in Hong Kong to find out exact details (don't contact your local embasy, cause things are alot different and easier visa wise in Hong Kong). I highly recommend "Grossman and Co.ltd, 852-2801-7911, they are very professional and the owner speaks great English. You also might want to look at getting a 90 day tourist visa, if you can't go the business route. Hope this helps.

PS

As of July 23rd 2006 the longest Business visa any nationality can get is only 6 months, no more One Year Visas:cry:

Thanks Steadi,

I've had at least 2 F visas in the past but that was way-back in 1999-2000, so I'll have to give the agency you suggested a call and research it a little more. Thanks again!

If anyone else has some up to date info, please let me know!

I am a US citizen, so my case might be of some help. I went to HK in July to apply for an F visa through my work. The Chinese visa office would only issue me a 30-day. I was told that they would only issue a 30-day for the first F visa. My situation is somewhat different from yours, as this is my first F visa. I had been on a Z visa, just before I switched jobs. After I returned to Shanghai, our administrator at work was able to get my visa extended to a 6-month F. I believe the extension is done at a special PSB office that deals with foreigners.

I think the rule is that foreigners, unless with special permission, have to leave the country at least once every year, but within that year, you can get your visa extended within the country at the PSB.

See this visa service in Shanghai for an example. Although they don't say anything about the mechanics of their services, I think essentially whatever they offer, you can also get yourself at the PSB (as long as you have the proper paperwork, i.e. business documents, etc).

http://www.emoo.net/modules/icontent/index.php?page=5

• 2 months later...

Hi. I am thinking of making a HK run this week b/c I need my visa fast (I heard it takes 2 weeks in Beijing). What is the cheapest you have ever paid for a visa and where? If I have a letter from my company, can I use the official service? (My company doesn't want to go through the hassle of getting a visa for me, but there is a small chance they will write a letter for me.)

Also, as an American, will I have to leave the country at certain times during the six months? This would be my first F visa as I am currently on a 3 month tourist visa. Leaving the country won't be that big of a deal as I will probably be going to Tokyo at least once every 2 months.

Thanks!

One comment on timing. I get my F visa renewed in Tianjin where I live and the normal time it takes is one week, but if you are willing to pay more (double?), they can turn it around much more quickly - maybe 1 or 2 days. I would imagine it's the same in Beijing.

Since I do business w/ a company here that gives me a letter of invitation and I have a business contract to show the PSB, etc., I am able to continously renew my F visa every 6 months w/o leaving the country - no limits that I'm aware of, as long as my contract with the local company goes up to or beyond the 6 months I want to renew for.

I think beijing is the easiest place in the world to fix your visa problems. I know that in the past when I tried to call offices in hong kong, none of them could help me because I'm an american. Go to beijing and get a copy of That's Beijing magazine and call up any one of the 20+ visa agents listed in the back, and all of them can give you a 6 month multiple entry type F for about 2000 kuai or less. I currently have a 12 month multiple entry type F that I paid 1800 kuai for. you need a tiny amount of supporting papers, like a registration from where you're living. If you don't have that you add a few kuai more and they'll even handle that.

turn around is about one working week.

just thinkinking about how much money you have to spend in hong kong to put a bite of food into your mouth, I cannot imagine how someone could justify going there for a visa run.

Is it really that cheap??? I had a friend who just paid 4000+ kuai for her 6 month visa and I've heard from all of my friends that I should expect to pay US$ 500 for all of my visas and that it would take two weeks.

The problem is, I need to leave for India on December 7th, so I should ideally have my passport back in hand by the 28th of Nov so I can take it to the Indian Embassy.

But if it's really that cheap and if I can get it in a week, then I would definitely get it done here?

Can you post or message me the contact for the guy where you got the 12 month multiple entry for only 1800 kuai?? how much did it cost?

Thanks!!

I know this is a bit different from your situation, but just as a guideline, I pay 828rmb for a 6 month F visa in Tianjin. But I apply for it myself at the entry-exit dept. and have legitimate business paperwork to make my case for getting a visa. Also, I am extending an existing F visa, not converting from a Student or Tourist visa. Takes a week to get my passport back. If I need it back in 1-2 days, I pay approximately double the price.

If you get it from an agent who may or may not be bribing someone, then the price will definitely be higher, but 4000rmb sounds a little excessive to me.

I'm in Chiang Mai now and 1-year multiple entry visas are available here for about $160. 6-month multiple entries for about $110 or so. These are prices for Americans, the prices are half for almost every other nationality.

Are these direct from the embassy / consulate, or via an agency? What kind of supporting documentation is required?

• 3 weeks later...

Looking for updates on the Visa situation. I am looking to go down to Hong Kong around the 30th of December to get a visa before I leave the country for 6 months. I am looking to get a 1 year mult entry F visa, but I don't have the paperwork. Is this possible anymore? I hear places like Japan travel won't give them out anymore. Is there any news on this front?