Chinese-Forums

Use American electrics/electronics in China?

teachinator

I'm going to be in China (coming from the U.S.) for three-plus months. Long enough that I want my creature comforts available, but short enough that I don't want to re-buy them. I'll be going to Beijing Language and Culture University, but I'm not sure if I'll live there or rent nearby.

Can I bring voltage adapters so that I can just plug in my laptop computer, electric toothbrush, and hair dryer that I bring from the U.S.? Where can I get the adapters (fast; leaving in a week)? Are the adapters cheap, easy, and reliable enough that I might want to get several and bring other plug-ins (like iPod stand and charger)? I see that in China there is more than one type of plug in use, so that might complicate the adapter purchase.

Thanks for your guidance!

I will be at BLCU in a couple of days also. I went to Best Buy here in LA and bought an adaptor that basically allows for laptops to be plugged in and used in an outlet in China. Since laptops transform the voltage already, I am told that you do not need a transformer. The one I bought comes with an extra piece where you can hook the usb of an ipod to it an it will charge. Hope this helps. Send me a message for questions. It cost around 20 bucks more or less. I hear they are cheaper in China but I didn't want to wait.

Voltage adapters can be chancy, especially if you are dealing with a high-wattage item like a hair dryer. Buy the most expensive adater you can find, or better yet just buy a hair dryer in China (there's probably a Carrefour or a Walmart's around.

Check the adapter/transformer on your laptop. In my case, as is often the case with newer laptops, the adapter was a universal one and It was only necessary to use a plug adapter.

In china, the AC power is 220V 50Hz. Check your electronics. I think some new electronics can adapt it.

And, if the plug can not fit the Chinese style, you need a adapter with universal outlets, which can be brought in Beijing easily. The price might be RMB 25 (3 dollars) or so. There is a Lotus Center (易初莲花) near BLCU, where you can find almost anything you need.

The campus store inside BLCU sells voltage adapters for dead cheap (25 kuai, approx US 3 dollars). It's at the tiny electronics table just inside the main entrance. The guy will probably ask you what you want appliance you want to use the adapter for so he can pick the appropriate one for you.

I used it to charge my PDA and operate my hairdryer - no fried circuits. Everything worked perfectly well and it was a heck of a lot cheaper than what you'd buy in the US!

Incidentally, check the voltage of the items you want to use in China. The charger casing will indicate if a voltage converter is necessary: laptops, ipods, and camera chargers can probably be plugged straight into the socket but double check to be sure.

• 11 months later...
bredmond812陈秉劲

I might as well piggy back on this thread...

I dont know much about home electronics, but I have my PDA, my Toothbrush, and maybe some other equipment. Someday I might get a laptop.

1. what will happen if I try to plug my equipment in to a Chinese outlet?

2. Because China is 220, should i buy a laptop there, or buy one here and get some kind of equipment to use it in the outlets there. What are the computers in China like? Can i feel safe buying one there and not getting a 'lemon'?

I know the posts kind of cover this already, but i kind of phrase it differently, hoping that somebody can shed more light on my particular ignorance.

B Red

1. what will happen if I try to plug my equipment in to a Chinese outlet?

It will probably kill the device. If it doesn't explode, it will at least catch fire. Look at this Youtube clip to see an example of an American 110V VCR plugged into 220 volt supply.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZKi9m_Wr14

You wouldn't want your toothbrush to do that while it's in your mouth would you.

Since laptops transform the voltage already, I am told that you do not need a transformer.

Check the laptop or other electrical device. They will all say near the plug or on the transformer what their requirements are.

My laptop's transformer says 'AC Input: 100-240 Vac/1.2A 50-60Hz' which in English means it will work with US and Chinese voltages without buying any extra kit. But you do have to check.

What are the computers in China like?

You'll see the same brands and models as back home. Dell, Acer, etc. Some people say they aren't the same quality as the export versions but I don't know about that. They look the same and come form the same factory. I've not noticed much saving in the price though in Hong Kong you did get a higher spec for your money than I saw on the mainland.

buy one here and get some kind of equipment to use it in the outlets there.

Assuming your new laptop, unlike my laptop, is not rated for the higher voltage; then you'll need a voltage adaptor to go form 110 to 230/240 volts. You can buy one in the shops listed in the posts above and usually you can get them at the airport though they tend to be more expensive there. You can also get them in china for a fraction of price of elsewhere.

I dont know much about home electronics, but I have my PDA, my Toothbrush, and maybe some other equipment.

Check the labelling on the power adapter of your electrical device or on the device itself - if you see something like "Input: 100-240VAC 50-60Hz", then you can use the device in China. If it says "Input: 120VAC 60Hz", then you can't use it here without a voltage convertor.

2. Because China is 220, should i buy a laptop there, or buy one here and get some kind of equipment to use it in the outlets there.

I think you are better off getting one in the states and bringing it over. From what I can tell, prices here on computers are no better than in the states, and by buying at home there isn't the issue of getting cheated both on price or an improperly spec'ed machine.

Also, every laptop I've used came had a power adapter that could run on 110/120V as well as 220/240V. If yours doesn't, you can get an adapter here for less than what one would cost in the US.

Check the label of your adapters to see if it can adapt 220V 50Hz AC Power in China. Many adapters have a wide votage range, so maybe you can plug them in directly.

Don't worry about the type of plugs. There is electric connection plates that can adapt all the types.

It will probably kill the device. If it doesn't explode, it will at least catch fire. Look at this Youtube clip to see an example of an American 110V VCR plugged into 220 volt supply.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZKi9m_Wr14

You wouldn't want your toothbrush to do that while it's in your mouth would you.

That is exactly what happened when my roommate plugged my alarm clock in without using an adapter....I really liked that alarm clock.