Chinese-Forums

Official translation of surname

banjo67xxx

Hi all,

Please can you tell me how to translate my surname Booth into Chinese? If my wife wants to change her surname on her Chinese ID and Passport I presume the translation must be correct.

I've seen a lot on this forum about chosing your own Chinese name, but not a lot about officially recognised translations, or does she have to write her surname in English and her given name in Chinese?

Thanks.

I do not believe that a surname (or family name) needs any translation? The popular media though winds up giving transliterations for certain people's family names like: Clinton, Bush, Schwarzeneggar (IMO, the multisyllable ones get really funny.), etc. In China, a woman retains her family name (maiden name). She really does not take her husband's family name unless she is addressed as "Mrs." If your family name is "Lee," you've got it easy. :D

In case you're really interested, here's the way Booth is transliterated in history books for the guy that assassinated Lincoln (林肯 ): 不死

Frequently, in Chinese newspapers, the surnames don't even get transliterated. For example, you'll get Bush 總統. Only the "President" part gets any translation effort.

Frequently, in Chinese newspapers, the surnames don't even get transliterated. For example, you'll get Bush 總統. Only the "President" part gets any translation effort.

The Chinese newspapers that I read ususally translate that into 美國總統布什 or 美國總統布殊.

Cherie Booth, Tony Blair's wife, is translated to 彭雪玲 in some Chinese media, while other use 布斯 / 布思.

The Chinese newspapers that I read ususally translate that into 美國總統布什 or 美國總統布殊

I've seen it both ways (Bush or 布什) . You can Google both to see.

Cherie Booth, Tony Blair's wife, is translated to 彭雪玲

Where in the world did they get 彭?

布斯 / 布思

In case we missed it, these sets of two characters are two more transliterations for Booth.