Chinese-Forums

Physical Exam for X Visa?

hunxue

According to the Chinese Embassy in the US, X visas are issued to students staying over six months and a physical exam is only required if your stay exceeds one year.

http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/hzqz/zgqz/t84243.htm

However, BNU's website says students holding an X visa require a physical.

http://www.bnulxsh.com/news/06fallxinsheng-en.htm

I have an X visa but I don't plan to stay for a full year. Anyone know if the physical is necessary or not?

Yes, because the x visa is only valid 30 days, and in those days you have to get your residency permit for which you need a police registration and health exam. NOt getting it within 30 days will result is scorn and fees.

The reason that some people don't get the health exam is because they are here on a 6 mon. F visa, which your school should allow you to study with. Check this with them, however.

Good luck! and thanks for reminding me to go get my visa changed... :wink:

Anyone know if the physical is necessary or not?

I would have to say yes. Holders a X-visa, Z-visa or D-visa are obliged to have their visa changed into a "Residence Permit" within 30 days of entry into China. In order to do this you'll have to provide them your health certificate, that is if this is the first time you're applying for a RP – otherwise they wont need to see it.

doumeizhen, what are you changing your visa to/from?

Im going to Tsinghua in Sept, and had told them I was coming for a year, but somehow they only authorized me for a 6 mos visa instead of a year. I was told it would be no problem to change once I arrive? What do you know about this process?

Also...what if I DIDN'T have my 6mos visa changed to a 1 yr (I might decide to change schools after 1 semester at Tsinghua), and I leave the country before it expires. Since the 6mos visa is only single entry, how would I re-enter? (I plan on going to HK for Xmas)

Any advise from anyone would be appreciated!

Cheers!

Also...what if I DIDN'T have my 6mos visa changed to a 1 yr (I might decide to change schools after 1 semester at Tsinghua), and I leave the country before it expires. Since the 6mos visa is only single entry, how would I re-enter? (I plan on going to HK for Xmas)

I believe that once you get your residency permit you can use that as a multi-entry visa of sorts. When I applied for my X-visa I initially applied for a multi-entry visa, but the kind lady at the visa office told me that I didn't need to do this. She told me that my residency permit would allow me to enter multiple times, thus saving me a $100 bucks.