Chinese-Forums

Karaoke~what to sing what to sing?!

doumeizhen

Hi Everyone,

I have a bit of a predicament here. My roommates co-worker tried to impress us with a fancy dinner, and it has evolved into a 面子-throwdown, meaning, now all of the guys are trying to out-do each other by taking us to nice dinners.. I know I know, woe is me.

So next Friday we are doing Karaoke, post dinner, and the thing is... I don't know any girl songs. I can do tons of songs, but I don't want to give my 同志‘s the impressions that I might be another kind of 同志 when I serenade beautiful women in my songs.

So, in short: I need some recommendations for songs that girls like to sing at karaoke. Does anyone know of anything that is not too hard, and requires little singing talent?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

On short notice, you can't go wrong with Cecilia Cheung - she can't sing at all, so her songs are pretty simple. 星语心愿 is most well-known.

至少还有你 by 林忆莲 is probably familiar.

苏慧伦: 鸭子, LEMON TREE

田震: 执着; 靠近我

Really what you want to do is learn some duets - 明明白白我的心 is a really, really bad song that everyone knows, so you'll be safe learning the girls' part to that and roping someone in to singing along with you.

These all should be in the KTV library of most places, so you won't be caught learning a song that you can't sing once you get there. Oh, and these are all older songs - I'll let someone else fill you in on the hottest current KTV songs...

至少还有你 by 林忆莲 is probably familiar.

This song is easy to sing and easy to understand, I was going to recommend it, but zhwj beat me to it. I find all the girl songs to be a little on the high side voice-wise (there's a few good altos but I can't think of the songs or singers' names), so hope you're a soprano.

Another option is if you can sing harmony and tag along on someone else's song. I find that a lot of CHinese are impressed with harmony, because they don't grow up singing along to Simon and Garfunkel, Eagles, Wilson Phillips? (gag!:tong:mrgreen: ) etc like we do in the west. Most of the Chinese people that I've met who can sing harmony are professionals and are pretty technical abt it - it doesn't have that spontaneous, organic feel I'm used to... I wouldn't worry abt anyone getting the wrong idea from singing a guy song. I sang a Zhang Xin Zhe (just the right range vocally) song once at KTV and the Chinese guys that came with us were still hitting on me afterwards. :roll:

Edit: I see now one of the requirements is little singing talent - don't worry you will discover that participation is more important than singing talent in China. Can I hear everyone say [POP=gu3 li4 to encourage, often said to get people to clap for someone]鼓励[/POP]?