Chinese-Forums

Where to change visa to a resident permit?

ZhuJiesheng

Hi,

I'm studying here in Beijing, but when I applied for my student visa in London they told me they only issue 3 month single-entry visas and I have to upgrade it to a resident permit here in Beijing; thing is I don't know where to do that. Would appreciate any help ^_^

Go to the Beijing Visa Office. It is on the northeast corner of the 2nd Ring Road, about a 5 minute walk east of the Lama Temple. You will need to provide them with your passport and a slew of documents.

Don't wait until the last moment to do this. And make sure you get a written list from them of the documents you need to provide so you have it for reference.

Back when I was a student, my language school did the visa processing for us. We came in on single entry student visas that had to be converted by the school once we arrived. If you are part of a formal language program at a university or maybe even a private language school, I imagine they'll do the visa stuff for you.

Yeah, you should get whoever gave you the letter of enrolment and JW202 to do it usually, no? There's no reason why you couldn't do it yourself, but the schools usually process them in batches.

Side question - you mention a "3 month single-entry visas ". Last I was aware, X-visas were single entry, valid for entry up to 3 months after issuing, and then valid for residence for one month (during which month you get your residence permit). Is that what you meant?