Chinese-Forums

Bicycle Ride partner?

magores

I enjoy riding my bicycle around Beijing. Anyone else like to do the same?

I'm not hardcore, or anything like that, but I do like to ride.

-Last weekend, I started from Panjiayuan, and went 2nd Ring counterclockwise. (couple hours)

-Previous weekend, I started from Panjiayuan, and went 2nd Ring clockwise. (couple hours)

-Before that, I went from Panjiayuan (3rd ring) to the 5th ring, and then north to the new Ikea (short ride)

-A little while ago I went out towards Hebei Province (didn't make it all the way. I made a wrong turn, a few km short.) (6 hours total)

-Before that I visted ShunYi (6 hours total)

Anyone else like these kinds of rides? Want a partner for the rides that you like to do?

I'll join you! Well, once I get to Beijing and buy a bike I will.

According to an earlier message of yours, you bought an electric bike. So, does that mean you'll be sitting there, feet up, sipping on a beer while I peddle frantically behind you? No fair :)

hehe... adrian.. I remember talking to you before.

nope no electric. That bike got stolen from in front of my apartment.

So, I ended up buying a regular bike. (Not a 10 speed, not a mountain bike - A city cruiser?)

I like the regular bike better anyway...

-good exercise

-faster than the electric one

-my legs "hold a charge" longer than the battery did on the electric one

I'd be happy to throw a rope between us, and let you pull me along (while I sit there with feet up, sipping a beer).

I'm thinking of buying a decent bike lock here in London and bringing it with me.

Is it possible to buy decent u-locks in Beijing? I'm just very suspicious - maybe all the locks on sale in China have master keys or something.

hi, magores, I'd love to join you! When and where?

My bicycle is a smaller one with tiny wheels(girl's bike). Is that OK?

Riding along the 2nd ring was a cood idea! And i like riding through Hutongs, looking for interesting people and restaurants:wink:

I do 80% of my communiting and errands here in the the U.S. on a bicycle. I'll only be in Beijing for three months, so it doesn't seem worthwhile to buy one, but I'd really like to have a bicycle to use while I'm there. Is it possible and reasonably inexpensive to rent one (where, near BLCU?) or is it cheap enough to actually consider buying one (where?) for such a short period of time? Maybe a used one?

Also, are bike helmets readily available? I imagine I'll look like a geek, but I always wear one here.

And if you live in a dorm or the International Students Center, do you have to lock the bike outside rather than taking it into your room?

I rented a bike when I was in Beijing last November. But, for not much more than my 10 day rental I could have bought a cheapo bike.

For 3 months I'd say it's definitely worth your while buying one.