Chinese-Forums

BeiShiDa (BNU)

nomad

I'm not studying at BNU, but I 'll be teaching there this Fall. And I just wondering what the campus is like and the facilities.

How are the classrooms (chalkboard,whiteboard...)? Is there AC or some sort of heating device in the rooms during the winter months?

Is there a on campus gym or sports facilities? I've heard that there's a library, anyone know if they have English books?

Any info much appreciated.

I'am not student of BNU too, but I've stayed in Beijing for 3 years and have friends in BNU, I visit BNU not very often, So I just tell you what I konw.

Usually, there is chalkboard in classroom and whiteboard in lecture-room.

During winter, warm-keeping facilites provided by the goverment can keep indoor temperature at least at about 16-20 celsius degree.

There are outside campus sports facilities but it would be too cold to do sports in the winter. Gym is avaible in winter, maybe, I am not sure:lol:.

English books in libary count for not very large propotion of all the books.

You can visit http://www.bnu.edu.cn go get more information

Here are my answers as a student here. The facilities are pretty decent. Better than I thought they would be. Unless you rent an apt, you'll be housed in Intl dorm no 3. the best and most expensive dorm on campus. I think they use chalkboards instead of white boards and the maids make sure that there is a box full of multi colored chalk and a clean chalkboard before the start of every class. Yes there is heat in the winter, and I believe A/C in certain classrooms when it gets hot. There is an on campus gym. There are a few big weight rooms with mostly free weights by the track and soccer field but I don't know about getting access. There's a tiny dumpy gym like thing with a few machines in Intl Dorm No 1, that has a 1 RMB entry fee per use. There is a swimming pool at the Jingshi Hotel, but I hear its 65 RMB per use. There is a library and their selection of English books is better than I thought. However I think one has to be a permanent student or has to pay a certain amount of money in order to activate the card...

Hope this helps. Cheers

Thank you.

Darn, I was hoping to have access to whiteboards, its been a long time since I've used chalk, oh well.

I'm not sure about my accommodations, the university mentioned providing me with a 2 bedroom apartment. I'm not sure if this means the Int'l dorm #3 or not. Is the Int'l dorm good (nice)?

I've also read on here that the campus is small. Is this a good thing or bad thing?

Thanks again

the university mentioned providing me with a 2 bedroom apartment. I'm not sure if this means the Int'l dorm #3 or not.

It will be. That's the only place on campus with two bedroom apartments.

I've also read on here that the campus is small. Is this a good thing or bad thing?

That depends on you. How can someone else answer that?

Is there a on campus gym or sports facilities?

Yes, but nothing special. There are facilities in the on-campus hotel; you'll need to ask about membership costs once you arrive, or email/phone them.

http://www.ciae.bnu.edu.cn/chinese_ver/index.php

Is there AC or some sort of heating device

In the rooms foreign students use, yes. But you won't be teaching foreign students, so many of your classrooms won't have aircon ;)

I'm not sure about my accommodations, the university mentioned providing me with a 2 bedroom apartment. I'm not sure if this means the Int'l dorm #3 or not. Is the Int'l dorm good (nice)?

It doubt it will be in the student dorms. More likely you will be living in school housing provided to professors. Foreign teachers are prized and treated well. I heard the BNU apartments for foreign teachers are really plush.

• 2 weeks later...

the gym is for badminton

25y per h

tennis court

20y per h

swimming pool in 京师大厦

360 per month

table tennis

5y per h

basketball

free outdoor

I think you will be teaching in No.2 building

aircon available

if you don't like chalkboard

you can make powerpoint in advance

it's a good way of teaching

I believe they'll provide you with the best

there're not many foreign teachers here

it's very hot here

esp in July and August

as to winter

don't have to worry

a bad thing here is there're three buildings under construction

so it's dusty

There's a Haosha (as Claudia mentions) at the north end of the Post and Telecommunications University which is over the road to the west from Beishida. There's also a gym in the basement of the Jindian Huayuan (Kingdom Gardens) apartment complex which is about the same distance.

Claudiasun, Roddy,

Thank you very much for all your help in answering my question. This is exactly what I was hoping for!!

I also really appreciate all of your posts, which has helped me prepare for my transistion to beijing and my new school (BNU) a little less of an unknown!

Zhen XieXie.

There's a clearer map here http://www.bnulxsh.com/images/map.pdf

**BUT** it's two years old and things have moved. You'll need to look at the blurry one posted above and then go to the "official" out-of-date PDF file if you need to zoom in on bits that haven't changed.

• 4 weeks later...

Sourgeofgod - my offer letter for the BA in Chinese Language says that we have to register between 3rd and 6th September - I guess that means classes should start on 10th September (though it's not written on the letter)...

Not sure about what classes we will have to take either! :( Oh well, I guess we'll just have to wait and see...

I can't find the link to the list of accepted students now - it's only on the chinese version of the website...maybe just call them. Hu Laoshi is very nice :)

Clive, how much Chinese do you speak? Usually they make you pass HSK 4 or 5, I think before you can be an official BA student. Before that you have to take Chinese classes with all the other foreigners (like me), though you'll still be known by all as a BA student... Once you're enrolled then you have to take more Chinese classes (still with foreigners but more BA students the higher you go), in addition to electives/distrib requirements...