Chinese-Forums

Is the Great Firewall getting taller?

sthubbar

Is it just me or does the Great Firewall seem to be getting harder and harder to manage?

5 years ago it was pretty straight forward to use a service like Witopia to go directly through and continue with whatever was required.

Gradually, I have noticed the following maddening trends.

- DNS redirects increasing, even for things like trying to download 7-zip from Download.com. Filehippo.com not accessible, American express account page not accessible

- VPN performance impact until practically shutdown. Even if I'm able to start a VPN, as soon as I try using the VPN, the round-trip-times rapidly increase from about 250ms to 1500ms, than 3000+ms and packet loss quickly jumps to 20+% until packet loss is 90% percent. As soon as the VPN is shut down, things go back to normal.

I have experience with Witopia, StrongVPN, and freegate and they all have these issues. I also experience this from my home and office in Beijing and home and office in Shenyang.

Is it just me or is this getting harder and harder to deal with?

Looks like his website (in the signature) is hosted with bluehost, who already provide SSH shell access.

All he'll need to do is download putty (on windows) or fire up terminal (OSX/Linux), and he should be able to verify if it works in a couple of minutes.

gato and imron,

Thanks for the great idea. I did setup an SSH account with Bluehost.com then configured the setup as follows:

1) Putty port forward 443 to VPN provider server:443

2) OpenVPN local config set to remote localhost 443

3) It works.

Unfortunately, the behavior is almost the same, as soon as traffic goes through this tunnel, round trip time and packet loss both increase dramatically.

I doubt the encrypted traffic is getting decrypted, especially with AES 256 bit encapsulated inside SSH, I doubt there is enough computing power worldwide to real-time decrypt that.

I assume they just throttle any traffic they can't read.

Do you have a different way to set it up, or other ideas?

Edit:

I added some more to the setup and it seems to be working better.

4) Add a "Dynamic" port forward to setup a Socks server listening on port 12345

5) Configure web browser to use Socks on localhost:12345

This setup allows all traffic, not just SOCKS aware traffic to flow through the SSH tunnel, and also helps reduce/eliminate DNS poisoning that happens with only a SOCKS proxy. Routing the web traffic directly through the SOCKS proxy instead of through the VPN seems to reduce the throttling.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

I usually use either VPN or SSH Tunneling, not both at the same time. Can you try that?

Do try the Bitvise Tunnelier software for tunneling, as it makes it easier to set up port forwarding.

With the packet loss, is it just slow, or unusable?

A year ago in Hangzhou I was using Witopia VPN and it always worked great. I'm surprised you're having so many problems. Is it dependent on your location in China? I plan to return to Hangzhou in 2012 and sure hope it still does the trick. Is anyone having problems with Witopia in Hangzhou / Shanghai.

imron,

Thanks for the detailed walk through.

I add OpenVPN in the mix because I still like the warm and fuzzy feeling I get from being able to ping servers around the world. :)

There are also programs that don't support a Socks proxy.

The increase in RTT is not because of what you describe. Yes, I agree without the tunneling the RTT might be 200 - 250 ms and then starting the tunneling it might be 300 - 350 ms. What I am talking about is shooting up to 1500 - 4500 ms RTT.

Your Firefox plugin is nice, though what about websites that work best with IE? I would still be subject to DNS poisoning without the use of the additional OpenVPN tunnel.

Like gato said, it almost takes being a network engineer to manage all this. :) Another brick in the wall.

I would still be subject to DNS poisoning without the use of the additional OpenVPN tunnel.
In IE maybe, but not in Firefox if you set the DNS requests to go through the proxy too like I mentioned in the last step above.

For other programs, I'm sure there is software out there that will allow you to route DNS requests via a port on your local machine. I'm guessing the current GFW is playing funny buggers when it sees VPN connections, so if you can avoid that altogether you'll be better off.

what about websites that work best with IE?

Do these still exist outside of China? Most web developers I know hate IE with a passion, and avoid it like the plague.

Witopia at least lets you choose from servers around the world - not sure if they have an Australian one, but it's worth checking. I've got mine set up so I can choose between Hong Kong (where I am) and the US and UK.

Actually, I can check - last time I installed they had one, in Sydney. However, if the admin folk at the sites you want to use notice that particular IP address is a proxy they may block it - I had to go through a couple of US options before I found one that would work with Hulu.

Despite the initial enthusiasm, the SSH solution does not seem to work as well as hoped.

The performance of an SSH tunnel does seem to be better with less dropped packets and better RTT.

Unfortunately with computers there are often these corner cases that defy explanation.

When trying to register for the American Express 1 million points give away on Facebook at:

https://apps.facebook.com/amexmillionpoints/contests/129287/entries/new

When trying through the SSH tunnel + StrongVPN solution the page just won't render.

It is only when I go straight through StrongVPN will the page render. And the packet loss and increased RTT is also still present. :(

Weird.

First, gato thanks for suggesting the SSH tunnel and imron for the detailed walk through. The SSH tunnel does work wonderfully, especially with Firefox and proxying the DNS.

To answer gato's question about why I was using SSH and OpenVPN at the same time...

At work there is a corporate proxy. I like to be able to ping remote hosts and do things like nmap, telnet to specific ports and other stuff that just doesn't work so well through proxies. Also, company intranet pages are difficult to reach if there is any remote proxy enabled or if DNS does not get resolved locally.

To allow me to seamlessly do "work" as well as have full internet access, I have Firefox configured to use the company proxy server and IE to either use no proxy server, therefore going directly through OpenVPN, or with the new solution, to use the SSH VPN. I then use IE tab to seamlessly access all resources and also still be able to ping/nmap.

From home, there is less of a need for the OpenVPN on top of SSH because there is no secondary proxy controlling general internet access.

You asked. :blink:

How fine grained access control do you have with OpenVPN (I've never used it so I'm not sure of its features)? For instance, can you tell it which programs use the VPN and which ones exist outside it? If so, just fire up putty outside the VPN, then using the multiproxy plugin for firefox, set up one proxy to use the corporate network, one to use the plan SSH tunnel with putty, and one to just use default network.

Then, at the flick of a switch you can go from the corporate proxy to your plain SSH proxy with remote DNS lookups and back, and then use OpenVPN for all your pinging, nmapping and telnetting needs.

Alternatively, get yourself a VPS, then you'll not only have SSH access, but you'll also be able to install whatever software you like on it (like nmap), and/or open up whatever ports you like for random telnetting.

I like to be able to ping remote hosts and do things like nmap, telnet to specific ports and other stuff...

Out of curiosity, is there a specific reason for this?

imron,

Another reason to keep using OpenVPN is that I can't seem to get Outlook to access my imap email accounts except through an OpenVPN connection. I tried doing port tunneling through the SSH connection and it just wouldn't connect.