Chinese-Forums

line breaks in classical chinese texts

Pravit

I like to read Classical Chinese texts at Wengu, memorize them, and write them when I practice calligraphy. I'm wondering if the line breaks they're showing(like when each virtual bamboo stick ends) are important when writing in columns(I mean up-to-down, right-to-left), or if the creator of Wengu just arbitrarily picked spots to break the line at.

Also, anyone know of some good Classical Chinese resources online? I've found the online version of "Language of the Dragon" here: http://www.csulb.edu/~txie/360/Etext/index.htm

I'm wondering if the line breaks they're showing(like when each virtual bamboo stick ends) are important when writing in columns(I mean up-to-down, right-to-left),

Yes, you are right that the line breaks in columns are very important, or some junior learners might have great difficulty in reading the texts.

or if the creator of Wengu just arbitrarily picked spots to break the line at.

No. Instead, the creator of Wengu tried to break the line according to the meaning and the rhythm of the text.

Thanks!