Chinese-Forums

Making Beijing Pancakes

tlevine

I'm not in China anymore, but I still crave jianbing. There are many kinds of jianbing, but the kind I want is

• Could I make them on a big crêpe-maker?
  • I'm having trouble (partly because of my lacking reading ability) finding a recipe for this specific type of jianbing. Does anyone know the recipe, or can someone in Beijing ask a street vendor?

• 1 month later...

hi, I thought I would just bump this up in the forum b/c I would also love to have a jianbing recipe. The best one I've had is on BeiDa campus next to the post office (the other ones are bland) though I'm sure there are better. The guy sprinkles something out of a shaker and puts on three types of sauces in addition to cilantro and onion. so good. I'm in new york about to go to china town on a search, but if someone had a recipe, that would be better! thanks!

I went to a place in flushing and found it. It was gross and made with a flat youtiao instead of a thin crispy cracker, the sauces were minimal and tasted pretty bad. No onions, no cilantro, just an oily flat youtiao that's been sitting out for a week. I'm not sure if this is the only place, but it was the only place I could find. Most people in Flushing are from HK or Taiwan so when I ask them about a jianbing, they think I mean a congyoubing (aka conghuabing on mainland). I'll keep looking!