Chinese-Forums

Does anyone know the name of this dish?

elchfan

Hello all lovers of chinese food,

I am looking for the name of my former favourite dish. It is some kind of shredded meat in a spicy dark sauce, and you eat it just like beijing duck, with the cucumber and all, and you wrap it in the same kind of tortilla. Does anyone know the name or - even better - have a recipe?

Thank you!

Eva

Hi Koneko,

I´m sorry, maybe my description was not very clear. The dish is not duck, there is some other meat (I suppose pork) used for that. And I think somebody told me it´s called the beijing duck for poor people.

But thanks for your help! :wink:

Eva

No, it´s not. I know spring rolls - though I´ve never found them somewhere in China. :wink:

For my dish, everything is served separately on the table. You get a plate with the meat, one with cucumber and scallions and one with the thin pancakes for wrapping.

hmm ... I think I know the dish, I've eaten it in central China, not spring rolls and yes, assembled like peking duck ... But have no idea about the name I'm afraid! Thick dark sauce, probably lots of soy sauce. I think there's a doufu (strips of doufu) version too.

two kinds of foods other than Beijing duck that I've eaten with pancakes were

Mushu pork in America

And jing1jiang4rou4si1 京酱肉丝 (also pork in similar sauce that they use for duck)

Since I live in sw China usually when we eat jing jiang rou si without the pancakes, but at Guozi Lou in Kunming they serve it with pancakes. No cucumbers, but they don't even serve that with the roast duck, you have to request it, and then the waitress proceeds to stare at you like you're some kind of alien . i'm not bitter. :tong