Chinese-Forums

Pumpkin-related food

Koneko

How weird?!

See here. (Written in traditional Chinese though)

These days, you can have pumpkin noodles, pumpkin baozi, pumpkin mantou, pumpkin dumplings, pumpkin poached eggs and even pumpkin milk tea!! :shock:

I would like to try them but I am not sure if I will like them...

How about you all? :wink:

K.

But pumpkin itself, is quite sweet. How could they use it in savoury dishes like noodles, poached eggs?!:tong

Yes, pumpkin is quite sweet. When I was young, my mum cooked a delicious dish called “豆豉鲮鱼焖南瓜Braised Canned Fried Dace and Pumpkin”, and it tastes not so sweet. I think it might be acceptable for you, Koneko. Hehe, even you can’t enjoy pumpkin, a lovely kitty like you can still enjoy canned fried dace, right?:mrgreen:

There is another pumpkin related food called pumpkin seeds南瓜瓜子, which tastes not so sweet. How do you think about it?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I actually have tired shrimp and pumpkin dumplings and I would have to say they weren't bad at all. I ordered them accidentally it was their house special dumplings. It seems to have the impression that food mixed with pumpkin would be sweet but actually wasn't surprisingly.

oh, i love them! it's a dessert based on some existing famous chinese desserts. . :mrgreen:

奶皇包 is a steamed bun with sweet, butter, and egg.

炸饅頭 is a fried bun, served with sweet milk.

湯丸 is a sweet soup dumplings, with red bean, peanut or sesame.

The above recipe only put pumpkins to these desserts, and i don't think it will taste bad.

I've tried a pumpkin sweet cold soup in Hong Kong and it's one of my favourite desserts now.

• 3 weeks later...

Pumpkin is used a lot in SE Asia and the Middle East as well, but not uncommon in China even in main dishes. Here's a "country-style" dish from the Shanghai region which alternates pumpkin slices with pork slices:

sheat09.jpg