Chinese-Forums

Is this an OK Chinese name?

Strawberries513

I am going to China for a study program, and on the visa application form it asks for a Chinese name (if any), and real name. The Chinese name that I use for myself (but have never used for anything serious) is 乐恋飞 (乐 yue4 being the surname and 恋飞 lian4 fei1 being the given name). I dont know if I should put this name in the application, and if it is ok to use it, is it even a good/acceptable Chinese name? (for a girl?)

If anything is wrong with it and someone would like to suggest something else, I am open to ideas. But I also need to know whether I am supposed to actually put this name in my application since its not a legal name.

Thanks !!

Congratulations! On the Visa form, I would keep it simple and just leave it out. Once in China, you can tell people to call you any Chinese name that you like. No need to put it on any government document, which then won’t match up to any other official US document, like your passport. On the name itself, I have no idea, but it sounds pretty. I’ll cast my vote in favor. Good luck, and write home (I mean here) often! :wink:

In Putonghua, I think that when 乐 is used as the surname, it should be pronounced as luo4 instead of yue4.
● 乐

(樂)

yuè

◎ 声音,和谐成调的:音~。声~。~池。~音(有一定频率,和谐悦耳的声音)。~歌(a.音乐与歌曲;b.有音乐伴奏的歌曲)。~正(周代乐官之长)。~府(原是中国汉代朝廷的音乐官署,主要任务是采集民间诗歌和乐曲;后世把这类民歌或文人模拟的作品亦称作“乐府”)。

◎ 姓。

http://www.zdic.net/zd/zi/ZdicE4ZdicB9Zdic90.htm

Thanks!

Am not at all a native speaker, but your name sounds really beautiful to me. Original yet credible as a Chinese name, and it doesn't seem to mean anything strange.

Good luck in China!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

But I think it's strange to use "戀" as your name... perhaps you should omit this, so your name becomes "樂飛", remember to pronounce it as "Yue" instead of "Le" so Chinese would admire you as their super nationalistic hero.

Ok, this is just my take on Chinese names (but not necessarily a comment on this name) 。Obviously sounding girly sounding names personally scare me b/c they always seem like prostitute names, or country girl names. ie. 莲香,颜如玉, 冬梅

Unfortunately, many Chinese will just say, yeah that sounds like a good name outta courtesy, and then secretly laugh later.

So, rule of thumb when picking a name, make sure it doesn't sound overly prostitutish, country bumpkin-ish, political, and of course pick one you can somewhat easily pronounce, with somewhat common characters otherwise you will just have to correct everyone....which is fine if you like to do that....but it's all up to you (same thing with using a character that has multiply pronounciations...you see the confusion that it has caused here....

(hmmm...this makes me think that I should post similar advice when it comes to Chinese girls picking English names...candy, cookie, milky, etc....are just wrong....and names of flowers are so overdone...)

perhaps you should omit this, so your name becomes "樂飛", remember to pronounce it as "Yue" instead of "Le" so Chinese would admire you as their super nationalistic hero.
Becoming a Chinese national hero may not be so easy. From the info provided by imron, I think the OP may have to visit a sex-change surgery as a preparation for adopting the name you recommended.

:wink:

(PS: If I'm correct, the written form of the name of the national hero may be slightly different from "樂飛".)

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone,

I'm also searching for a suitable Chinese name. Currently I am studying in Australia at university, but will be spending one year in China in 2009 studying the language as part of my degree. My laoshi has suggested this name:

余戎 Yu2 Rong2

I'm curious of your opinions on this.

Cheers,

Ryan.