Chinese-Forums

Couple of travel questions

xuechengfeng

1) What is that web site that lists domestic flights within China in English? It is not a web site for any specific carrier. I remember someone on this site linked it before.

2) Is it cheaper to take boat or fly from Qingdao to Seoul?

3) Is it possible for me to get visas to other countries around Asia, while I'm in China? I was looking to get them for Vietnam, Thailand, and maybe Russia. Would it be any cheaper than getting them here?

4) Is there any way to find hostels online in Chinese cities, and know if they are near everything major? I know hostels.com has everything, but some of the time it's hard to gather if it is near anything, and are they more expensive if you buy them off of that web site as opposed to showing up to a hostel in China and wanting to rent a room? Any advice on hostels?

5) Would you recommend train or plane for traveling throughout China? I plan on being all over the place. Russia, Beijing, Qingdao, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Thailand. Is it possible just to get one way tickets and be about as cheap as a train ride? Also, I'm only familiar with bigger cities, any smaller ones that deserve a visit? I know in the Shandong area, Penglai, Weihai, and Yantai were all sweet.

Thanks to anyone who wants to tackle any of these. I may have more also.. beware! :evil:

3) Is it possible for me to get visas to other countries around Asia, while I'm in China? I was looking to get them for Vietnam, Thailand, and maybe Russia. Would it be any cheaper than getting them here?

There are Vietnamese & Thai consulates in Kunming, as well as Embassies for all 3 (presumably!) in Beijing.

4) Is there any way to find hostels online in Chinese cities, and know if they are near everything major? I know hostels.com has everything, but some of the time it's hard to gather if it is near anything,

I've found this difficult too. I think the best way round this may be to use hostels you can find on maps in (eg) lonely planet. (Although hostels seem to rest on their laurels once they're in LP)

and are they more expensive if you buy them off of that web site as opposed to showing up to a hostel in China and wanting to rent a room?

They seem to be cheaper if you just turn up, but you may not get the exact room you want (or a room, in holiday periods). In Beijing, many small hotels, with no web presence/english speaking staff also seem to be able to accept foreigners at good prices (

5) Would you recommend train or plane for traveling throughout China?

How much time do you have? If you travel around a lot, going exclusively by train will take up quite a few days. On the other hand, for some routes, the sleeper trains save you a nights accommodation (& fares &/ hassle of getting to the airport) & get you there pretty much overnight...

Is it possible just to get one way tickets and be about as cheap as a train ride?
This is possible at times. Full air fares are a lot more expensive than even soft sleepers. But the max discount from 'full fare' prices vary radically, and can be up to 80% especially on competitive routes (eg BJ-Shanghai). Apparently the best discounts occur about 2-3 weeks before departure (barring holidays). Check skylees sites for the routes you're interested in for dates about 2-3 weeks out to get some idea of the discount you might be able to get.

The prices for visas are usually set for a nationality. So you should be charged the same price where ever you are in the world, but Chinese people will be charged less than you where ever they apply.

5) Would you recommend train or plane for traveling throughout China?

Trains are usually significantly cheaper. However, the tickets can usually only be booked a short time in advance and there is unlikely to be English spoken at the station or on the train, so if you don't speak Chinese, this may be difficult. Taking the train is slower, but your going to see more of the country and meet more of the people. I've taken the train to Inner Mongolia and other places several times and it's always very enjoyable.

There are also coaches that run between most cities. I've found them to be clean, comfortable, air conditioned and the usually play movies on the TV. Coaches are even cheaper than the trains.

Also, I'm only familiar with bigger cities, any smaller ones that deserve a visit? I know in the Shandong area, Penglai, Weihai, and Yantai were all sweet.

Lots of smaller cities are well worth visiting. In fact they are probably more to see in some smaller cities than in the big ones. There are too many to even begin to list them. China is so huge that it could take you a long time to do everything. There is a great deal of variation around the country. Plan your journey to allow plenty time to enjoy each place. Keep yourself flexible to just change things on the ground.

Coaches are even cheaper than the trains.

Not round here they ain't. The coach from, say, Guilin to Nanning is much more than the train.

Is it possible for me to get visas to other countries around Asia, while I'm in China? I was looking to get them for Vietnam, Thailand, and maybe Russia.

Of course, but remember that, if you leave China, you need a new visa to re-enter (unless you have a multi-entry.)

There is also a Vietnamese consulate in Nanning, which is much closer to Vietnam then Kunming.

I would be careful of the elong hotels (at least the cheaper ones). The two places I booked through elong for my last trip (and yes I was going on the cheap, so i picked so called 2 and 3 star hotels), were horrid and overpriced. The first one posted prices for HOURLY rates in the lobby (which of course did not show up on the website), did not come as promised with internet access. the so-called window was about 6 feet off the ground and tiny, the bathroom had wierd stains coming out of a drain thatmostly disappeared my second night, and there was a sort of "mini-bar" of items in the bathroom which included condoms and men's underwear (so I guess you could have a clean pair in case of "accidents").. The power cut out several times in the 2 nights I stayed there, leaving the barely functioning a/c off, the room stuffy and hot, and no screen on the windows to keep out the buggies. To make matters worse, the room I had reserved wasn't available, so I had to move into a higher priced room. I left after 2 nights, and found a MUCH better place for a little more than 1/2 the price of the 1st place (120/night vs 208/night) and then cancelled my Beijing reservations based on advice from relatives in the city. If you know anyone who lives in the places you intend to travel, you should ask them to scope out the hotels for you before you book. the places I ended up staying in were MUCH nicer than the ones listed for similar prices on Elong.

• 3 weeks later...

Are there any special requirements for getting to Lhasa? Has anybody been, and have recommendations on the best way to get there? I was considering either taking the train from Chengdu or Beijing to Lhasa. Although, what in the world is there to do on the train for nearly 2 days, besides sleep? Is it worth it to go? How far is Mt. Everest from the city? Anywhere else to go?

Are there any special requirements for getting to Lhasa?

You need a travel permit form the Tibet authorities to enter Tibet. Your travel agent can arrange that for you when you buy the tickets.

Has anybody been, and have recommendations on the best way to get there? I was considering either taking the train from Chengdu or Beijing to Lhasa. Although, what in the world is there to do on the train for nearly 2 days, besides sleep? Is it worth it to go?

I'll be going in about 3 weeks, I'll let you know once I get back. However, I've done long train journeys in china before and the journey is an experience in its self. You'll get to meet a variety of Chinese people and observe their customs first hand. The line to Lhasa goes through some of china's most remote and beautiful scenery.

How far is Mt. Everest from the city? Anywhere else to go?

Measuring on Google Earth, it's about 260miles as the crow flies (longer by road). There are several tour companies that will take you from Lhasa to Everest via several other places of interest. A quick Google found me:

http://www.tibet-tour.com/route/f005.html

http://www.chinahighlights.com/newsletter/journey-mount-everest.htm

Hixue cheng feng,

I recommend getting a lonely planet or rough guide book, it will help for finding cheap hostels or hotels. Trains are very cheap and overnight trains are not bad at all. Look out for Cheap plane fares as day of or day before plane fares with student discounts can be cheap. I also used the cards that are given to you by random xinjiang people in Shanghai. The ones outside tourist places not the Pot selling one south of Nanjing lu.

To go to Tibet by train is new but still takes forever like 2 days not bad though considering 60% of the track is tunnels though the himalyas.

Because of not having rentries on your Visa the Chinese can be sticklers for those kind of things. Try stall food like La mian a hand made noodle dishes and Chao fan, stirfried rice with stuff.

Good luck, you'll have a blast.

Simon:)

Thanks for the responses so far, back again :mrgreen:

This may be a stupid question, but since you need a permit to enter Tibet, does that count as "leaving" China, or will I be OK with a tourist single visa?

Any estimates on what you should expect to spend on food? I know local eating in Qingdao, I could easily get by on about 7-10 US. Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Chengdu, Lasa? Any advice? I'm generally a value eater. Not much interest in fancy food or Western-style.

Has anybody been, and have recommendations on the best way to get there? I was considering either taking the train from Chengdu or Beijing to Lhasa. Although, what in the world is there to do on the train for nearly 2 days, besides sleep? Is it worth it to go?

I've heard that one advantage of going by train is that it is easier to adjust to the altitude change (because it is more gradual and there is more time). That said, I don't know anyone who's taken the train, but everyone I know who took a plane spent a day in bed after landing to adjust.

This may be a stupid question, but since you need a permit to enter Tibet, does that count as "leaving" China, or will I be OK with a tourist single visa?

I think it would count as an entry, at least that's how it works for Hong Kong and Macao. But this is definitely something you'll want to be clear on - maybe you could try asking your travel agent?

Any estimates on what you should expect to spend on food? I know local eating in Qingdao, I could easily get by on about 7-10 US. Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Chengdu, Lasa? Any advice? I'm generally a value eater. Not much interest in fancy food or Western-style.

In Beijing, you can get by on 20 RMB/meal at some local chains, as well as western ones (McDonald's, KFC). You can also get by on much less at small food stands selling baozi, etc. once you have settled down and start getting more adventurous. I think the same also holds true for Shanghai.

In my limited experience with HK, you can eat for 20 HKD/meal, but it's not going to be very memorable. However, western food is very good there (on a whole different level really) and is reasonably priced compared to the mainland.

I think it would count as an entry, at least that's how it works for Hong Kong and Macao. But this is definitely something you'll want to be clear on - maybe you could try asking your travel agent?

Going to Tibet does not count as an entry - I went there by train during this last May holiday.

Spent a few days in Xining (Qinghai) first. I was pleasantly surprised by Xining, it is reasonably high altitude to help with acclimatisation, and a has few decent day trip locations (although not much worth seeing in the city). We bought the train tickets and arranged the Tibet permit there without any travel agent assistance. The train took one night and one day, and I highly recommend it for the pleasure of the journey. We didn't have any altitude problems in Lhasa.

Unfortunately, we could only spend one night in Lhasa due to family problems back home. But not one single person wanted to see my Tibet permit - that annoyed me a bit. No check at the train station at both ends, or at the hotel check in. It cost about RMB700 plus the hassle of getting it. Quite a hefty foreign tourist tax.

cdn_in_bj: Are you sure traveling to Hong Kong counts against the visa? When I had looked it up earlier, it had said that visas are not required for U.S. citizens for stays of up to 90 days. I'll only be there 7. Is this old information I found? I actually don't have a travel agent. I've been to China twice now, so I'm under the impression that I'll be able to set all of this up by myself. I'm hoping. :mrgreen:

johnd: Where do you get the travel permit at? We will definitely be taking a train from Lasa to Beijing, so I don't want to do that trip twice, seeing as how a flight from Chengdu is only about $100 US more than a train, and significantly less time. Do you know if there is a certain place or places in Chengdu where you get the travel permit? Sheesh, 700 RMB is a bit steep!

Are you sure traveling to Hong Kong counts against the visa?
Entering Hong Kong does not require a visa. If however you want to go back to China afterwards, you will need a visa with (at least) one available entry. You do exit the country when you pass into HK.

cdn_in_bj: Are you sure traveling to Hong Kong counts against the visa? When I had looked it up earlier, it had said that visas are not required for U.S. citizens for stays of up to 90 days.

What cdn_in_bj is saying (at least I'm pretty sure) is that it counts against an entry on your CHINA visa because you have "left" the country. HK is very easy to stay in in regards to US Citizens but if you leave the mainland and have a multiple (limited to 2 or 3 whatever entries) when you go back in it will use another entry.

P.S. Gougou- you're too fast. Typed and then saw your message....

Xuechengfeng - sorry for the confusion, gougou and muyongshi are right - getting into HK is not the problem, it is returning to the mainland afterwards which will use up a visa entry. But on the otherhand, you can easily and quickly get a new visa while in HK.

Do you know if there is a certain place or places in Chengdu where you get the travel permit?

Chengdu seems to be the main departure point for Tibet, with lots of backpackers and hostels catering to them. So I guess there's ample support for getting the travel permit - when you buy your plane ticket, the travel agent will probably do it for you.

Chengdu seems to be the main departure point for Tibet, with lots of backpackers and hostels catering to them. So I guess there's ample support for getting the travel permit - when you buy your plane ticket, the travel agent will probably do it for you.

Yes Chengdu pretty much is but as far as I understand it it seems that more of the hostels will help you with the travel permit than the travel agents. So just be sure to ask, and then ask again, and ask a third time.