Chinese-Forums

Couple of travel questions

xuechengfeng

Going to Tibet does not count as an entry - I went there by train during this last May holiday.

Unfortunately, we could only spend one night in Lhasa due to family problems back home. But not one single person wanted to see my Tibet permit - that annoyed me a bit. No check at the train station at both ends, or at the hotel check in. It cost about RMB700 plus the hassle of getting it. Quite a hefty foreign tourist tax.

Thanks for clearing that up. But I'm very curious what's stopping a tourist entering Tibet from another country, say, Nepal, and travelling onwards to other parts of China?

Thanks for clearing that up. But I'm very curious what's stopping a tourist entering Tibet from another country, say, Nepal, and travelling onwards to other parts of China?

The government...:twisted: :twisted:

Okay seriously...there is even more red tape in those places because you have to have a visa to get in and still have to get that from the Chinese somehow and they will be strict. And in many of those border countries you will get a double wammie because they also don't like foreigners (a lot of them...not saying all).

Don't get confused between documents:

1. the visa in your passport is for the whole of mainland China, of which Tibet is a de facto part

2. the Tibet travel permit is a separate piece of paper that is an extra requirement for Tibet

If you enter Tibet from another country, you have already entered China. There is nothing to limit you travelling on.

Okay seriously...there is even more red tape in those places because you have to have a visa to get in and still have to get that from the Chinese somehow and they will be strict. And in many of those border countries you will get a double wammie because they also don't like foreigners (a lot of them...not saying all).

I asked because from johnd's post it seemed that things were very lax at the train station and I got the impression that no one was checking passports there, but maybe I read too much into his post.

Anyways, it is not a good idea to travel in China without a visa (or an expired visa), even if one somehow manages to get in.

Anyways, it is not a good idea to travel in China without a visa (or an expired visa), even if one somehow manages to get in.

Definitely...besides the fact that it is illegal....it can get very expensive.

About the other countries I guess there could be some that are very lax but in terms of the old Tibet nations (Buddhist nations) because they tend to be loyal to the Dali lama, the Chinese government tends to not like them and anybody trying to enter Tibet through there as historically those are (in the Chinese government mind) terrorist/separatist nations and the foreigner are possibly "Free Tibet" type of people.

If you enter Tibet from another country, you have already entered China. There is nothing to limit you travelling on.

It was my understanding is that when entering Tibet from outside of China, visitors are advised to do so through a group, and therefore enter Tibet on a group visa Tibet. If the individual decides to visit other parts of China, according to the "rules" he may need to get an individual visa. Though the visa situation all sounds very complicated, from what you posted it seems like no one is actually checking at the train station.

http://home.alphalink.com.au/~dawa/traveltb.htm#s5c

Sorry cdn_in_bj, I didn't know about "Tibet group visa" as I live in China. Quoted from your link:

Travellers who wish to overstay group visas, either by staying longer in the T.A.R. than their group visa allows, or by splitting from others sharing the same group visa, or by travelling on into other parts of China - all such travellers face confusion as to the "rules" and uncertainty as to the outcome.

Yes, you can physically travel on to the rest of China with no restriction, but you will be absolutely buggered when you try to leave China. Don't do it!

The other thing about visas are they are checked with your passport when you stay at a hotel or hostels.

Even when you stay with friends technically you're supposed to register with the police station within 24 hours , but if it is a short stay people don't care that much.

So not having a visa can make finding a hotel to stay difficult.

(yes like everything in China there are ways around this but I tend to avoid bribery when I can).

Have fun,

Simon:)

Yes, my questions about the visa checking (or lack thereof) in Tibet were merely out of curiousity, as in the rest of the country they make it hard for someone to do this (either intentionally or accidentally).

I am definitely not advising anyone to try this!

Cheers! :)

Ok, well I just found out flying in and out of HK is a helluva lot cheaper, so let me just make sure I'm getting this right...

I fly into HK, leave, have one entrance into China, go to Tibet, Beijing, Qingdao, Shanghai, back to HK. All in total, I just need a single-entrance visa.

I fly into BJ, stamped once, go to Qingdao, Shanghai, HK, Tibet, stamped on leaving HK, back to Beijing. All in total, I need a double-entrance visa?