Chinese-Forums

Help: the most appropriate translation for "Have a good day"

mytulip

People who speak English often end their conversations with "Have a good day!" Since Chinese people usually don't say that, I am trying to figure out the most appropriate translation for the phrase. I come up with "祝你一天都愉快/开心”。Do you have a better one? Please feel free to brainstorm.Thanks!

Now that the difference of greeting is related to culture, it is likely that some of them can't be interpretated, even we want to seek "the most appropriate". I think so.

Therefore, I don't really think that Chinese would say "祝你一天都愉快/开心" or something like that when ending conversations. Perhaps they rarely care whether you're happy or not. They just care for your safety —— is China a dangerous nation? But why?:—— then they will say 慢走, or 慢点儿(like many Pekinese say), be slowly or walk slowly, with a subaudition that TAKE CARE!

The trouble with "man zou" is that you say this to someone who's leaving. So it really is liek "Have a nice day!" that Americans use.

If it's you who is leaving then I don't think you can use that.

Thank you, guys. That really helps. The Chinese people don't say "have a nice day", but they do say "have a nice weekend" (周末愉快). Another question. When talking on the phone, "慢走“ wouldn't be right. How about “保重"? How do the Chinese end their phone conversations?

When talking on the phone, "慢走“ wouldn't be right. How about “保重"?

Sometimes people do say 保重 when ending a talk on the phone. But is still not in common use. Because 保重 means "to take care of your health", but it is used when someone will leave far away for a long time. If you'll meet your friend tomorrow, obviously it's not proper that you say 保重 to him when ending the call.

How do the Chinese end their phone conversations?

Mmm...

再见 (goodbye/ bye) , 回儿见 (see you later) and 明天见 (see you tomorrow) are ok.

In fact, in most of time, I feel we just say nothing except 好 or 就这样吧 when ending a call (especially between friends).

One that hasn't gotten up yet (unless I missed it) that is rather frequently used is 我先走了 or 我走了.

I love the whole statement. I say that, my friends may or may not mumble something, and then I grunt and leave.

Here's another one that you won't see used often but it is kind of like "have a nice day" but only some really weird limited group of people would say it. It is 祝福你. Kind of more like bless you but like I said I only now a group of about 10 that would actually say it.