Chinese-Forums

Help: the most appropriate translation for "Have a good day"

mytulip

you can say "那好(nàhǎo)就这样( jiùzhèyàng)

I find both of those very commonly used. Once again I love the whole make a statement and that's the end of it. No fanfare needed.

就这样。我走了。

hey, I think Chinese would like to say:

祝您天天开心 or 祝您每天都有一份好心情 which means "Happy everyday" instead of "Have a good day"

or 祝您节日快乐 or 祝您周末快乐 which means "Have a good holiday" or "Have a good weekend"

In conlustion, Chinese would rather talk about "everyday" or "special day(weekend, holiday)" instead of "a day" to end a conversation.

Due to the limited space here, I won't explain more the culture reason for above Chinese preference. However, if you need my more explaination, please dont' hesitate to let me know.

Welcome to the forums, ChineseSpeaker! I see that you've had to bear the urge of posting for 2 years before making your first post. You must be a very patient person. :D

Due to the limited space here, I won't explain more the culture reason for above Chinese preference. However, if you need my more explaination, please dont' hesitate to let me know.
Yes, please. I'd like to know the reason for the preference.

Hello HashiriKata,

Glad to meet you here. Here is my explaination:

1). For holiday, because it is special holiday, it is worth giving best wishes. That likes the case in Western culture. For example, English speaker would like to say "Happy new year!", "Merry Chritsmas!", and so on.

2). As for "every day" issue, "Have a nice day" literally means "祝您今天快乐", if someone say "祝您今天快乐", Chinese listeners would understand it as "他只祝我今天快乐" which means "Be happy only in today". Good wishes then become bad wish. So Chinese people use "天天(everyday)" instead of "今天" to avoid the misunderstanding.

HashiriKata,

I noticed you location is UK, are you an English?

My teachers (in Beijing) would say 周末快乐 to me every Friday. Every other day of the week it'd just be 明天见 or 再见 depending on whether I was actually seeing them the next day or not.

adrianlondon,

For ending a conversation or session, your teachers are correct. Actually, there are other words to end a session besides the 2 ones you said.

For example, besides "再见", we could also say "再聊" which means "talk to you later" to end a session.

Are you in London or Beijing?

I am in Shanghai, and I am a native Chinese speakers.

I have some foreign friends who are living in China. They come to china to learn Chinese, to find a job. So I become interested in helping them with Chinese learning.

Nice to meet you!

Good to meet you, too. It's always good to have Chinese people posting to these forums! It saves having a load of language learners all trying to help other language learners, which can lead to mistakes being perpetuated.

As for 再聊 - cool. Not heard that before, but I like it.

which can lead to mistakes being perpetuated.

Kind of like the horrific vision I had of the result of English teaching when I was in a qiang village in the mountains listening to their "English teacher" (who was self taught through television) and imagining if I multiplied his bad English including pronunciation into all his students and then imagined those students teaching others....not a pretty picture.