Chinese-Forums

Help me out with my tattoo!

on_the_edge

My advise would be to try to first translate the quote into Greek and see it it makes any sense. If you were to translate it into French people's response would be "On the edge of what???". I suspect this would be the reaction of anyone reading the Chinese tattoo.

I think the "on the edge" he's going for is about equivalent to "extreme" as in "extreme sports."

I think Chinese character tattoos are stupid (but only marginally more so than tattoos in general), but if one's going to get one, it should at least be in traditional characters. That "avant garde" would be

先鋒

in traditional characters and

先端

in Japanese.

Hashirikata, I don't think you read johnmck's whole post.

If you were to translate it into French people's response would be "On the edge of what???".

Now I don't know much about French, but the example you provided was in English so it didn't really demonstrate anything.

Now I don't know much about French, but the example you provided was in English so it didn't really demonstrate anything.
If this is the case, you should try to understand what is meant in English first, before attempting French.

I know just fine what it means in English. And I'm pretty sure everyone here knows what it means in English, and that it can be used without "of," so it made no sense that you would respond to johnmck's post by telling us all something we already know.

Hey i would like to thank you all for your interest but you got me confused!

Till now all of you have written 3 different ways for my quote:

1) 先锋

2) 先鋒

3) 先端

On the edge is something that i like and it's like that!

johnmck: you asked: on the edge of what?

I want to know how you write "on the edge" and i don't care if people don't understand it! It's personal!

So i am waiting for your replies and i hope i get the 100% correct writing!

Thanks again,

Filios.

I know just fine what it means in English. And I'm pretty sure everyone here knows what it means in English, and that it can be used without "of," so it made no sense that you would respond to johnmck's post by telling us all something we already know.
So, are you in effect saying that "If JimmySeal knows something then everyone else should already know it, and everyone here should therefore ask for your permission before posting" ? :help

Certainly not. But it appears that johnmck knew full well what he was talking about and that the original poster knew that "on the edge" can be used without "of," so I am curious whom you thought you were trying to inform by saying what you did.

so I am curious whom you thought you were trying to inform by saying what you did.
It's normal for people here to want to contribute, even if what they contribute may not be new to everyone. Now, who are you to tell people what they can post and what they can't? You appear to have too much time on your hands, Jimmy, and I'm sure you could make better use of it than keep responding in circle here.

I'm not here to tell people what they can and can't post.
So what have you been doing in this thread???
But what you have said so far doesn't explain why you quoted johnmck in your post.
This is not the only thing you don't understand. Don't you even understand this???