Chinese-Forums

Help me out with my tattoo!

on_the_edge

Hey i would like to thank you all for your interest but you got me confused!

Till now all of you have written 3 different ways for my quote:

1) 先锋

2) 先鋒

3) 先端

On the edge is something that i like and it's like that!

johnmck: you asked: on the edge of what?

I want to know how you write "on the edge" and i don't care if people don't understand it! It's personal!

So i am waiting for your replies and i hope i get the 100% correct writing!

Being multilingual, you surely understand that there are many ways to express something in another language. All three above mean "avant garde" or "cutting edge." The first is simplified Chinese, the second is traditional Chinese and the third is Japanese.

If you want a literal translation, it would be ”端に” or ”端っこに” in Japanese, but please understand this means "on the edge," as in "The cup is on the edge of the table," and surely does not convey the meaning of the chorus from Aerosmith's hit record.

I want to know how you write "on the edge" and i don't care if people don't understand it! It's personal!
I think the point here is that in English there are several different meanings of on the edge, and they would each translate into a different phrase in Chinese depending on which meaning you wanted translated. It would help if you could clarify, or provide a bit of context about "on the edge", and that would help others provide you with the most accurate translation. If you're not interested in accuracy, you might as well get something like "傻瓜“ tattooed and be done with it.

先锋

先鋒

先端

端に

端っこに

傻瓜

靠邊站

Nice i have 7 diffrent tattoos to choose!

By saying on the edge i mean:

1) Leaving in danger

2) Being different

3) Behaving in a different way that people do in your culture

4) Not into fashion, expensive clothes and show off

So i am waiting for a clearer answer now and something like this: http://www.hanzismatter.com/2004/12/master-of-stupidity.html

Imagine the guy that made this tattoo how does he feel now?

Also i would like to ask what does this tattoo mean:

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t274/sportsman55555/IMG_0105.jpg

So what's going to be?

That's my first tattoo and when i got that tattoo they told me that it was an F since my name is Filios! My god, these tattoo guys are so stupid some times!

Ok i will be a husband one day and i am a hard worker! That's good for me!

So what about my quote: ""ON THE EDGE""

How would it be written in chinese traditional, simplified and in japanese?!

As you seem to be interperting "living on the edge" as "being different" rather than its more common meaning of pushing boundaries and/or doing something to keep the adrenaline rushing, you could use 与众不同.

If you are going to get a Chinese tattoo, you probably should find someone who knows how to write Chinese to do it; otherwise it might come out like squiggly marks.

So that your next Chinese tattoo comes out better than your last, I've posted the "calligraphy" for 先鋒 below. The word means "avant-garde" or "pioneer" and is probably close enough to what you are looking for. If it's not, maybe others can suggest something else.

"与众不同" ("different from the crowd") sounds good, but may be a little long for a tattoo.

1177_thumb.attach

By saying on the edge i mean:

1) Leaving in danger

2) Being different

3) Behaving in a different way that people do in your culture

4) Not into fashion, expensive clothes and show off

Ironically, in my mind, getting a Chinese tattoo would seem to contradict items 2, 3 and 4 on your list.

Regarding your first tattoo, it is pronounced fū, which is maybe why you were told it was the letter F. This is about as accurate as saying Apple is the letter A, Banana is the letter B etc etc.

My god, these tattoo guys are so stupid some times!

On the other hand, they weren't the ones getting a random character from a language they don't understand permanently tattoed on their body.
You will get some very strange reactions from Chinese people if you go with #6.
Yes, one might even say that getting such a word tattooed on oneself would count as really living on the edge. :mrgreen:
噢农田和额度个
Haha, now you're just teasing :) Which IME produced that output string from "on the edge"?