Chinese-Forums

Coffee??

andreabt

I'm not a coffee expert, so I'm not exactly sure what the difference between a maker and a percolator is, but I can tell you that the kind of coffee makers where you put the water in the bottom and it boils up through the coffee into a jug at the top can be bought in IKEA in Beijing.

You can buy the coffee itself at Carrefour or some cafes. To be honest I don't think there's much you can't get in Beijing - it just might take a bit of looking, and a lot of paying.

Roddy

Roddy, I think that sounds like a percolator...what I would call a coffeemaker is something you pour water in a reservoir in the back, and the water is heated, pushed through a filter, and then drips into the carafe. I guess technically and specifically that would be drip coffeemaker. Percolators don't require electricity (though I think there might be some electric ones). With the one I've got (again remember it's for camping), I pour water in the pot, put a little apparatus/filter in, put the coffee in the filter, then put the lid on and stick it over heat. As the water boils, it boils up into the filter and gradually the water turns into coffee. Perhaps not the most technical description, but maybe you get the idea :)

To be honest I don't think there's much you can't get in Beijing - it just might take a bit of looking, and a lot of paying.

Yep, and it's the paying part I'm worried about...if I was going to be there for at least a year again, I wouldn't mind investing a large chunk of money in a coffeepot, whatever kind, but for only three months...I'm going to make room in my suitcase for the percolator. I'll remember Carrefour for coffee; I'm guessing, like here, ground coffee or coffee beans are more expensive in cafes than in supermarkets.

you might consider a french press (i've never used one myself). i do not know anything about their availibility in china, but they are neither too large, nor too heavy to transport. a cool thing about them is that they can be used for making tea - i've been in some cafe's that use them in such a manner.

• 2 months later...

When I went to Hainan, they sold real coffee there. Don't know how it tastes though.

I have found the regular "ground roast" stuff in Shanghai and Beijing. These cities have foreigner style supermarkets for yuppie foreigner types who come to China to work executive jobs. I ran into one in Beijing, but the place in Shanghai is called "City Supermarket". There is about five locations. I have been there twice to load up on crap like Ranch dressing, Doritoes (not the real ones, Aussie ones called Rositas. Got the real Doritoes in Beijing for about 5 USD a bag), sweet pickles (something the Koreans love, but lost on the culinary retarded Chinese), Vanilla Cokes and Fajitas. Different flavors of Gatorade.

They have real cheese there, but no mexican style nacho cheese stuff. No tacos either, because the culinary retarded Chinese wont eat them. They have a decent liquor section, but you can buy all that stuff in all coastal cities and cheaper than City. They did not have my ranch dressing the last time I was there, and it is all Paul Newman brand. Not Kraft, Paul Newman. Shows you the crowd the place gets. Chinese markets to me are horrible about stocking one thing one week and never seeing it again. I still kick myself for not buying those taco shells in the Carrefour in Hangzhou. You might get your stuff at Carrefour too. Care-4 rules.

City Supermarket is expensive. As I said, it is for those lucky ex-pat corporate bastids making the big, big bucks who live in company paid villas with a ayi (maid) and a real oven. I just get crap that i cannot get in Hanzhou and I have spent 600 RMB in my last two visits.

If you live in Kunming, there is also Wal-mart and Sam's Club. Never been in a Chinese wal-Mart, but Sam's sucked. But maybe there is coffee to be found. Usually if the Chinese like it, it is crap. If it is delicious, you will never see it here without a long, hard painful search.

SENOR