Chinese-Forums

Differences between southern chinese and northern chinese?

Peeter

I didn't see anything resembling "nonsense" when I first read post#14 nor do I do now nor will I ever do might I re-read it in the future.

Well I found this not so pleasing -

(I was gonna say in forums of a lower standard than ours, but sadly, here we are talking about who eats embryos and who doesn't...)

But it doesn't matter now.

Please accept my apology for being ambiguous. When i say "they" eat embryo , i mean an extremely small number of people. In the news report, some of them are businessmen who worked in China, some are rich man who made coin money. But note that those guys are very few. Most Chinese also feel sick with these things. (sh)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It is always known to Chinese that the Northerners are more straight forward and say what they mean, and the Southerners are trickier. I know that because my family was from Zhejiang province, and it's considered in the South. My mother is always interpreting the true underlining meaning of what our family friends have said. I also know that when she said she didn't want something from me generally means that she wants the things she said she didn't want. It's very tiring. I feel much better living in U.S. so I don't need to deal with digging for underlying meanings of the Southerners.

One of my Chinese Vietnamese friends who was a Management Consultant in Hong Kong for a few years and had dealt with business people in many parts of the China told me the followings:

1. The Northern Chinese people are more educated and good in politics, but not very flexible.

2. The Southern Chinese people are good in business and very flexible, but had less education or value education less.

3. The Center Chinese (Shanghai region or Jiang-Zhe region-- Jiangsu and Zhejiang provinces) have a good mixture of education as well as business sense. They also are pretty flexible. In addition, the region has always been the place of scholars since ancient time.

In the area of physical appearances: the northerners are taller and paler and the southerners are shorter and darker in general. However, there were a lot of northerners who went to the south and vice versa, so it's harder to tell these days.

Regarding which groups of people are prettier; it is really depending on your taste. My family was from Shanghai region, so I feel people from Shanghai region is prettiest. However, my dentist who was from the northern region, he thought the people from the north are prettier than the southerners.

In the area of food, the northerners like to eat flour based food and meats. The southerners like to eat rice, fish, and vegetables.

• Like 1

...my family was from Zhejiang province...

1. The Northern Chinese people are more educated and good in politics' date=' but not very flexible.

2. The Southern Chinese people are good in business and very flexible, but had less education or value education less.

3. The Center Chinese (Shanghai region or Jiang-Zhe region-- Jiangsu and Zhejiang provinces) have a good mixture of education as well as business sense. They also are pretty flexible. In addition, the region has always been the place of scholars since ancient time.[/quote']

All Hail the Zhejiang Chinese, the best of the human kind.

I wouldn't say they are the "best" human kind, but I would say that the Chinese guys from Jiangsu and Zhejiang region are the best husbands and boyfriends in all of the world. They are handsome, smart, cultured (according to my Shanghai friend that they all have at least one talent, like painting, calligraphy, poetry, cooking, etc.), have a lot of business sense, and most importantly knowing how to treat their women right. I knew a lot of guys from this region who cook gourmet Chinese food, and one co-worker who cooked for his whole extented family including his mother-in-law!!! Not to mention, they generally don't argue with their women folks even when they are unreasonable. Sigh! I sometimes regretted that I did not marry a Jiang-Zhe guy when I argue with my husband. :mrgreen:

I wouldn't say they are the "best" human kind, but I would say that the Chinese guys from Jiangsu and Zhejiang region are the best husbands and boyfriends in all of the world. They are handsome, smart, cultured (according to my Shanghai friend that they all have at least one talent, like painting, calligraphy, poetry, cooking, etc.), have a lot of business sense, and most importantly knowing how to treat their women right. I knew a lot of guys from this region who cook gourmet Chinese food, and one co-worker who cooked for his whole extented family including his mother-in-law!!! Not to mention, they generally don't argue with their women folks even when they are unreasonable. Sigh! I sometimes regretted that I did not marry a Jiang-Zhe guy when I argue with my husband.

That's not true. Shanghai guys are way. way better (and they probably are the best in the world).

• 2 years later...

I'm an ABC of Jiangzhe/Jiangnan ancestry and I sometimes do think that my mindset is very much like any native Jiangzhe/Jiangnan guy from China (because that's how I was raised), along with being typical American.

Why do shanghainese/other jiangzhe guys treat their women right? cause there's no reason not to treat them like crap.

yep, every jiangnanese guy has their own talent(s).

I know my dad argues with my mom (doesn't happen too often), but it's over silly stuff and they all forget about it the next hour/morning/week. Sometimes it gets violent, but that happens once in a blue moon (but they don't divorce or anything). but jiangnanese parents are like typical southern chinese parents cept that they're more liberal than cantonese, taiwanese or fujianese, but more conservative in other aspects.

But I don't agree that northerners focus on education. I just see them as peasants. 'Center Chinese'/Jiangnan Chinese are the best at education (esp. at the college level, and historically, the imperial exam level), but relatively decent in business.

and shanghainese are jiangnanese btw. they're closest to people from southern jiangsu and northern zhejiang. and most native shanghainese have ancestry from these two areas anyway. but a fair amount of shanghainese have ancestry from jiangbei/jianghuai and they're stereotyped by jiangnanese as stupid or pigheaded. even the word 'kaon poh' ('jiangbei') means stupid, and 'kaon poh nyin' jiangbei/jianghuai person means idiot.

tbh some cantonese think we're northerners even though i laughed my ass off cause i know i'm a southerner. and like other southerners, we're not straightforward (like we have to interpret what family members say and try to be tactful and shit like that) though we're pragmatic.

northerners love to eat beef, lamb, noodles and unfilled buns

southerners love to eat rice and seafood (but jiangnanese love pork, esp. pork belly and pork leg)

what do i find pretty? girls from jiangzhe/jiangnan/shanghai girls. but taiwanese girls are fine too. but then again a lot of waishengren are of jiangnanese descent.

But I don't agree that northerners focus on education. I just see them as peasants.

What?! Are you serious? In case you've forgotten, China's capital city's in the north and it's remained that way for hundreds of years (except for that period when Nanjing was the capital) and the best scholars from all over China would gather over there. Also, Shandong (northern province) has been known to have the hardest 高考 exam papers in the whole of China.

what do i find pretty? girls from jiangzhe/jiangnan/shanghai girls. but taiwanese girls are fine too. but then again a lot of waishengren are of jiangnanese descent.

For me, I think girls from Heilongjiang, Jilin and all that northern area are prettier because they're usually taller and more elegant looking whereas jiangzhe girls tend to be more petite and 'cute'.

• 1 year later...

These are the causes of difference of north and south of China:

1. Ethnic: north people are effected by Mongolia or even some gene of white; south people are more or less like Vietnamese or Thai

2. For recent centuries, Beijing, the City in north China, is the capital of China.

3. South people got to know western culture ealier and wider than north people did.

4. There are many big plane and big mountain in the north; and there are full of small river and small hill in the south, which I believe affects the characters of the people in there

I belive from above 4 points, you can try to conclude the difference by yourselves :-)

Getting back to the original post,

I'm kind of guessing that people in the south are more outspoken and extroverted...

One year I moved from far south (Zhuhai) to far north (Harbin) and found just the opposite: Strangers were much more likely to strike up a casual conversation in Harbin than in Zhuhai. Surprised me, but it was a very striking contrast. I realize it may not be wise to generalize from such limited experience.

• Like 1